Click here to activate screen reader, translation and accessibility tools

Last updated: 6 January 2022

Gas servicing, damp and mould, and asbestos

Annual gas safety checks

Your gas appliances need to be serviced once a year to ensure you’re safe.

Why these checks must happen 

Unchecked gas appliances have a higher risk of carbon monoxide leaks.  Carbon monoxide can kill you, and you won’t smell it or hear it.

Annual safety checks are a legal requirement, and you must give us access to do this. 

If you don’t, we'll get a warrant from court to enter your property, and may charge you for this.

How to get a gas service

We’ll write to you, 28 days (and again seven days) before your inspection to arrange an appointment.

Then you just need to give a Gas Safe certified engineer access to your house for 45 minutes.

If you can’t be in at the arranged time, tell us as soon as possible on 0203 3058 0531/ 020 3051 3653 to set another date.

Not had a gas service in the past year?

If you haven't been  contacted you about gas servicing in the past 12 months, call us immediately on 0203 3058 0531/ 020 3051 3653 today to arrange one.

What to do if you smell gas

Do not call us – instead contact National Gas emergency service on 0800 111 999 (24 hours a day)


Phone: 020 8017 8358 if you live in the north of the borough or 020 8017 2281 if you live in the south.


Damp problems

You may think you have a damp problem at home. However often the issue is excess condensation.

What is condensation?

Boiling your kettle, bathing, cooking... even breathing can add lots of moist air to your home. If this air can’t escape, it will cause you problems. 

Condensation can get onto your walls, furniture and clothes - causing mould which can seriously damage your health.

As a tenant, you’re responsible for controlling the moisture in your house. It’s really easy for you to do by simply letting the air out. 

How to prevent condensation

  • open windows (just a bit) to let out any damp air from cooking, washing or bathing
  • use your extractor fan especially when using the bathroom and kitchen
  • dry clothes outside if possible or open a window if you dry them indoors
  • if you use a tumble dryer, it must have a proper vent to the outside – otherwise it's just pumping damp air into your home
  • keep the lids on pans and open windows slightly when cooking
  • when running a bath, put some cold water in first, to reduce steam
  • do not use paraffin and bottled-gas heaters – they give off huge amounts of damp air, are dangerous, and banned in your tenancy agreement
  • don’t overfill your wardrobes and try to let air into them
  • keep air vents clear

Who's responsible for repairing damage due to damp?

We are responsible for decorative damage caused by structural issues, like guttering or plumbing leaks. If property is damaged, you may be asked to claim on your household insurance. Otherwise, you are responsible for managing the moisture in your house.

Still got a problem?

If all the above condensation fixes have failed, get in touch and we'll arrange a surveyor to visit your property. 

Phone 0208 496 4197
Important: We may charge you if you’re found to be responsible for the issue.

Asbestos concerns

Left undisturbed, asbestos is harmless. However, when it’s disturbed by damage, drilling, sawing or moving, the airborne particles can cause you serious health problems.

Tenants - Planning home improvements?

If you’re planning work at home that may disturb asbestos - for example; repairs, alterations, decorations - you should contact us first.

When you contact us, we’ll be able to check our records to see if there’s a chance asbestos might be disturbed.

Remember you need our written permission before carrying out any alterations or improvements.

Asbestos thought to be threat to your health has already been removed from your home by the council. But if you would like to see the records of asbestos in your home, please feel free to contact us.

Phone 0208 496 4096.