What is happening Click to get info
Fellowship Square will build on the legacy of Waltham Forest being the first ever Mayor’s London Borough of Culture in 2019. It will provide opportunities for new leisure, entertainment and learning spaces, shops and cafes, and provide jobs for local people and brand new, affordable homes prioritised for Waltham Forest residents.
On Tuesday 7 September 2021, Waltham Forest Council development partner, Countryside Properties, secured planning permission to move forward with the transformation of the Town Hall Campus to create a brand-new neighbourhood and cultural hub in the heart of the borough, completing the Council’s vision of a distinct, welcoming civic space and a 365 day a year cultural venue.
The development will continue to build on the success of the first phase of works that completed in July 2021 seeing the historic Grade II listed Town Hall fully refurbished and the creation of Fellowship Square and state-of-the-art water feature, which has been hugely popular with residents and visitors, hosting a series of free summer events and activities, and sees hundreds of visitors each day.
Timeline Click to get info
Fellowship Square will be delivered in two phases:
Phase 1: from June 2020
The Council received approval to deliver the first phase of the development following consultation with residents. (The Planning Committee minutes can be found on the Democracy website) A contractor and architect have been appointed to work closely with the Council to ensure a high-quality, respectful refurbishment of the town hall buildings and fountain area.
The key aims of this phase are:
- Protect the Grade II listed town hall buildings through thoughtful and considerate renovation, while modernising the building to enable better staff working
- Open up the area around the fountain and make it pedestrian-friendly, replacing it with an accessible, safe and welcoming water feature. Download FAQs about the Town Hall fountain.
- Ensure the town hall and assembly hall are fully accessible for all visitors
- Restore the war memorial to its former glory with a better space for memorial events
Phase 2: late 2020 to early 2023
In January 2020, the Council announced leading UK developer Countryside as the delivery partner for phase 2 of the Fellowship Square project. Read more about this partnership. On 7 September 2021, Countryside Properties were granted planning permission to move forward with phase 2, pending a s106 agreement.
Phase two of the ambitious programme includes:Hundreds of new jobs, including during construction and supply chain opportunities, as well as a programme for schools and colleges to visit and learn about apprenticeships and training opportunities
- Building more than 433 new, high-quality homes prioritised for local people, with a target of 50% affordable. 11% of these will be wheelchair adaptable homes
- A new Civic Building with ground floor café/restaurant space opening onto Fellowship Square
- Restoring the war memorial with a better space for memorial events
- New landscaped gardens with over 200 new trees and play facilities on Chestnuts Field
- A new crèche/nursery space
- A new shop/commercial space
Have your say and get involved Click to get info
As Phase Two progresses, Waltham Forest Council will continue engaging with local residents and the community to gain essential feedback on the transformation. Countryside will be working alongside the Council for the remainder of the redevelopment, ending in 2024.
Keep informed Click to get info
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 4 December 2020
- Download the Fellowship Square email newsletter 6 November 2020
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 16 December 2019
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 27 November 2019
- Download the Town Hall email newsletter 22 August 2019
- Download the Town Hall email newsletter 11 July 2019
- Download the Town Hall email newsletter 28 June 2019
Follow us on Twitter @wfcouncil, using the hashtag #FellowshipSquare
Contact us Click to get info
Further Information Click to get info
Since the Covid-19 outbreak, all staff and contractors are operating under revised health and safety protocols in compliance with government guidance around social distancing and with advice from the Construction Leadership Group. If you have concerns about anything happening on the site, please contact the contractor on the advertised number or email, and if the problem persists, please contact London Borough of Waltham Forest Council.