Community in Fellowship Square Day – The Big Help Out
Celebration of community and volunteers at Fellowship Square
A community-led celebration of local volunteering organisations and volunteers, and all their selfless efforts over the last year. We are bringing everyone together at the Community Day in Fellowship Square with music, cultural workshops and performances, family friendly activities, food, drinks and more.
Rooted in tradition: Tai Chi at Coronation Weekend - by Dao Lu CIC
Celebrating the Coronation Weekend by learning about different traditions and appreciating our huge cultural diversity in Waltham Forest. Tai Chi is an ancient Chinese internal martial art and has huge health benefits by connecting our mind and body with nature. It can help re-energise our body and mind while being fun at the same time. After the session, we can socialise and watch a beautiful Tai Chi performance!
- 11am to 12:30pm: Tai Chi Workshop suitable for people of all ages and abilities including sitting position, followed by networking and Q&A.
- 12.30pm to 12.50: Tai Chi performance.
East Asian Dance Shows - by Mile Rainbow C.I.C
Watch and take part in an East Asian Dance Show! You can participate and watch exotic Korean, Japanese and Chinese dances, as well as gentle martial arts, appreciating beautiful East Asian handicrafts, trying calligraphy and competing for prizes.
- 11am to 1pm, 2pm to 3:30pm, 4pm to 5pm Demonstration of calligraphy and handicraft display. Announcement of prize winners.
- 1pm to 2pm: Gentle Marial arts, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese dance shows followed by dance class.
- 3.30pm to 4pm: Dance class in the grassed area.
She Speaks Up! Mini Art and Literature Festival by She Speaks Up!
The Mini Art and Literature Festival includes a pop-up exhibition of local and established artists. We also have a book stall with artist books, a photography and writing workshop that is freely accessible to all, and an experimental performance with dance and audience participation using photography and music.
Find out more on the She Speaks Up! website.
- 11am to 1pm: Book stall and pop-up exhibition of local and established artists.
- 2pm to 4pm: Art workshop: Representations of equality, identity and diversity through photographs and writing. Workshop led by artists Sharon Young, Eliza Zmuda, Lina Smykowska, Tom Lovelace, and Angela Russell.
- 4.30pm to 5pm: Experimental performance with dance in the fountains and audience participation using photography and music. Led by Tom Lovelace and Sharon Young.
WalthamScribe WordPlay by WalthamScribe
Creative, interactive, fun word play and pictures! Including workshops from award-winning poet and performer Adam Kammerling, visual poet and artist Astra Papachristodoulou, comic artist Gereth Oddie and your friendly local creative writing group WalthamScribe.
- 12pm to 1pm: Poetry Jenga
- 1.30pm to 2.30pm: "I’m from …" creative writing workshop
- 3.30pm to 4.30pm: Make a mini silent Comic
Let’s celebrate His Majesty The King and Her Majesty The Queen Consort Coronation and the work of Volunteers with a Royal Piñata by Sweet Paper Creations
Participants will take part in the Coronation celebrations by making their own Royal piñata and reflect on amazing multicultural and rich traditions we have as a community. Sweet Paper Creations passion is to share Guatemalan and Latino American cultural heritage of piñatas (all of which are 100% recyclable).
Learn more on the Sweet Paper Creations website.
- 11am to 5pm: Drop-in sessions. Each participant will take between 30 to 40 minutes to decorate their Royal piñata bases.
A special thank you to Countryside and Service Store for their support funding this event.