Click here to activate screen reader, translation and accessibility tools

Councillors’ allowances and expenses

Information about councillors' allowances and expenses

Last updated: 10 November 2022

Next review: 10 November 2023

Our councillors get an allowance for their duties. This scheme is set out in the councillors and co-optees allowances scheme (PDF).

What the allowance covers

Councillors are entitled to an allowance to cover their duties. Some councillors also receive a special responsibility allowance (SRA) for extra duties they perform.

Councillors who hold more than one post are only entitled to claim the highest SRA. These allowances will be increased every year in line with the percentage yearly increase for officers’ salaries.

Councillors can also claim an allowance for carers’ costs, travelling and subsistence costs when carrying out certain duties outside the borough.​

Contact Democratic Services

Waltham Forest Town Hall

Forest Road
E17 4JF