In-year admissions

Schools, education and learning

'In-year admissions' is the term used when a child is looking for a school place during the academic year.

You can make an application for an in-year admission when:

  • you have moved to, or moved house within, Waltham Forest and need a school place 
  • you want your child to move from one school to another within the same year group 

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) and you want to change their current school, please contact the Disability Enablement Service on 020 8496 6503 / 6505

Apply for an in-year school admission 

In-year application form (70KB, PDF).

Application guidance

We advise that you read the guide booklets below before submitting your application, to avoid any errors or delays:

If you need assistance, please contact the Admissions Team on 020 8496 3000.

If you have any issues or receive an error message when completing your online application please email stating the issue with a copy of any error message so this can be dealt with as soon as possible.

It is extremely important that a child has continuity in their education. For this reason, we strongly discourages unnecessary transfers between schools.

If your child is already attending a school, but you feel that a move would be in their best interests, you should discuss your reasons for this with your child’s current school. It is important that you try to resolve any difficulties by working with the school, rather than requesting a transfer.

You will need to provide your reasons for requesting a change of school and set out what you have done to try to resolve the issues with the current school.

Children benefit from continuity in their education. We strongly discourage unnecessary transfers between schools. If you still want to apply for a school transfer, please complete the in-year application form.

If your child is being educated at home and you now wish them to be considered for a mainstream school, you should complete the in-year application form.
Children attending alternative education provision who are ready to attend a mainstream school are normally placed through Waltham Forest’s Fair Access Protocol. This ensures that the amount of time any child is out of school is kept to a minimum.

Waiting lists Click to get info

We will write to you with the outcome of your application. If your child is not offered a place at your preferred school you have the option of going on a waiting list. To do this, you must return the reply slip attached to your letter and indicate which schools you'd like to be placed on the waiting list for. 

In-year waiting lists are only open for the academic year in which you apply. They close on 30 June. If your child is on a waiting list and has not been offered a place at your preferred school by the end of June, you must reapply from 1 July. This will ensure they are considered for your preferred school in the new academic year. All applications received from 1 July will be considered for the new academic year in September.

Contact Click to get info

School Admissions (postal address only)
Waltham Forest Town Hall
Forest Road 
E17 4JF 

Phone: 020 8496 3000

School Admissions (appointment service)
The Magistrates
1 Farnham Avenue 
E17 4NX

We are open, by appointment only, at The Magistrates every Monday from 9.30am to 16.30pm and Wednesday 1.30pm to 4.30pm

Opening times are subject to change due to the demand and peaks on the timeline.

To make an appointment, please phone 0208 496 3000 or email