Planning application validation requirements Click to get info
Our adopted local validation requirements list is a technical document that explains what information you need to include with your planning application.
Submitting an application
Our adopted local validation requirements list sets out what information is required for applications of a particular type, scale or location.
Please read through the list of requirements relevant to your application type before submitting your application. It will make it easier for you to know what to submit. This should help us increase the number of applications that are valid on receipt and speed up the process. It will also help us get more planning information up front and minimise the need for pre-commencement conditions which the Government is now discouraging. This will mean that you will be able to start on site more quickly without having to submit further information after planning permission has been granted.
Make sure your application is valid
When you submit an application, we check it to ensure you’ve provided the required information. From this, we will either identify your application as ‘valid’ or ‘invalid’.
‘Valid’ means we’ve received all the correct information and the proposed development can be considered by the planning officer.
‘Invalid’ means we haven’t received all the information we need to process the application. We will send you a letter advising what information is missing and allow 21 days for you to submit it. If we don’t receive the additional information requested within this time, we will withdraw the application.
Please note: If you submit plans larger than A3 in size, you will need to also provide us with a paper copy. Please send to: Development Management, London Borough of Waltham Forest, The Magistrates, 1 Farnan Avenue, Walthamstow, London E17 4NX.
Local validation requirements
- Full validation checklist (Word 112KB)
- Local validation checklist matrix for each application type (Word 28 KB)
- Local validation list – lawful certificate application (Word 52KB)
- Local validation list – advertisement consent application (Word 45KB)
- Local validation list – full planning permission (Word 73KB)
- Local validation list – householder application (Word 63KB)
- Local validation list – listed building application (Word 56KB)
- Local validation list – outline planning application (Word 60KB)
The purpose of the local validation list is to:
- provide guidance on the level and type of information which must be submitted with a planning application
- list validation item requirements which are proportionate to the nature and scale of the proposal
- ensure that we comply with current best practice advice
- ensure that the validation requirements are justified and supported by policies in the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF), the policies in our adopted development plan, and any other relevant legislation
The validation requirements are currently under review. Download the new version of the validation requirements.
The deadline for completing this short survey is Sunday 23 August 2020.
Valid applications Click to get info
We will prioritise valid applications once we receive them on. We do this by checking the application contains all the required documents and plans which are in the correct format.
We aim to validate them within five days of receipt, or 10 days for major applications.
Invalid applications Click to get info
If your application is found to be invalid (i.e. it doesn't contain the required information) we will write to you explain why. We aim to do this within 10 days.
You will be given 21 days to make your application valid. After that it will be withdrawn, unless you have contacted the fast track and delivery team (contact details will be provided on your letter). If this is the case we may give you longer to submit the information.
If you haven't heard from us within two weeks Click to get info
If you have not received an acknowledgement letter or an invalid letter within two weeks of submitting your application, please email our planning admin support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information Click to get info
Can I speak to the officer who validated my application? Click to get info
If you need to speak to the validation officer, you will find their details at the top right-hand side of the letter you received from us. It's usually better to email the officer than rather than phoning.
If you have appointed an agent for your application then all correspondence and enquiries will go through them. We will not discuss a case with an applicant where there is an agent. This is to avoid misunderstandings and miscommunication.