Archives Click to get info
We hold wide-ranging primary sources for the history of our local community.
These include records of:
- Anglican parishes since 1575 (including parish registers)
- Chingford Mount Cemetery
- Local authorities
- Places of worship
- Properties and historic buildings
- Clubs and societies
Extensive name indexes and local census returns are available in our searchroom.
Local studies library Click to get info
The range of printed sources available in our searchroom includes:
- Local newspapers
- Trade directories
- Electoral registers
- Council minutes and reports
- Ordnance Survey and other maps
- Secondary sources including biographies, histories of organisations, pamphlets and ephemera
Facilities Click to get info
You can view records and archives free of charge, although you will need to make an appointment in advance.
Copying facilities are available, subject to copyright requirements and the physical condition of the original material. Please ask a member of staff for more information and charges.
We regret that we cannot do research for you, but we are here to help you choose relevant sources and make full use of our facilities.
Free Wi-Fi is available in our Searchroom.
Free access to these online resources is available in our Searchroom:
- Essex Ancestors (via Seax from Essex Record Office)
Other records Click to get info
Access and appointments Click to get info
Please contact us to make an appointment.
The searchroom is situated on the first floor, which is accessible by stairs only. If you would prefer to work in a ground floor room, please let us know when you book your appointment.
Local history and family history societies Click to get info
- Chingford Historical Society
- Leyton and Leytonstone Historical Society
- Leyton Past
- Walthamstow Memories
- Waltham Forest Oral History Workshop
- Waltham Forest History and Heritage Network
- Waltham Forest Family History Society
- East of London Family History Society
- Federation of Family History Societies
- Society of Genealogists
Other archive services and local history websites Click to get info
- Waltham Forest Parks and Gardens
- War Memorials Archive
- Essex Maps
- Historic England Archive
- British History Online
- Vision of Britain Through Time
- Black Cultural Archives
- British Newspaper Archive
- Enfield Local Studies Library and Archive
- Essex Record Office
- Hackney Archives
- Haringey Archive Service
- London Metropolitan Archives
- Newham Local History and Archives
- Redbridge Heritage Service
- Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives
Contact Click to get info
Searchroom access is by appointment only.
Waltham Forest Archives and Local Studies Library
Vestry House Museum
Telephone: 020 8496 4391 or 020 8496 2406
Opening times:Thursday to Saturday from 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm.