Archives Click to get info
We hold wide-ranging primary sources for the history of our local community.
These include records of:
- Anglican parishes since 1575 (including parish registers)
- Chingford Mount Cemetery
- Local authorities
- Places of worship
- Properties and historic buildings
- Clubs and societies
Extensive name indexes and local census returns are available in our searchroom.
Local studies library Click to get info
The range of printed sources available in our searchroom includes:
- Local newspapers
- Trade directories
- Electoral registers
- Council minutes and reports
- Ordnance Survey and other maps
- Secondary sources including biographies, histories of organisations, pamphlets and ephemera
Facilities Click to get info
You can view records and archives free of charge, although you will need to make an appointment in advance.
Copying facilities are available, subject to copyright requirements and the physical condition of the original material. Please ask a member of staff for more information and charges.
We regret that we cannot do research for you, but we are here to help you choose relevant sources and make full use of our facilities.
Free Wi-Fi is available in our Searchroom.
Free access to these online resources is available in our Searchroom:
- Essex Ancestors (via Seax from Essex Record Office)
Other records Click to get info
Access and appointments Click to get info
Please contact us to book your appointment, giving some information about your research topic.
The Searchroom is up one short flight of stairs and there is no lift. When booking your appointment please let us know if you require a fully accessible ground floor room.
Local history and family history societies Click to get info
- Chingford Historical Society
- Leyton and Leytonstone Historical Society
- Leyton Past
- Walthamstow Memories
- Waltham Forest Oral History Workshop
- Waltham Forest History and Heritage Network
- Waltham Forest Family History Society
- East of London Family History Society
- Federation of Family History Societies
- Society of Genealogists
Other archive services and local history websites Click to get info
- Waltham Forest Parks and Gardens
- War Memorials Archive
- Essex Maps
- Historic England Archive
- British History Online
- Vision of Britain Through Time
- Black Cultural Archives
- British Newspaper Archive
- Enfield Local Studies Library and Archive
- Essex Record Office
- Hackney Archives
- Haringey Archive Service
- London Metropolitan Archives
- Newham Local History and Archives
- Redbridge Heritage Service
- Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives