Waltham Forest Design Advice Panel (WFDAP) Click to get info
The Waltham Forest Design Advice Panel can help by providing expert, independent design advice for development proposals. The council established the panel in partnership with Design Council Cabe to boost quality of life and encourage prosperity and environmental sustainability in Waltham Forest.
Each panel review can highlight the strengths and weaknesses of the design and any steps that can be taken to improve it. Design reviews are subject to the following charges:
- Large-scale workshop review: £6,500
- Standard workshop review: £5,950
- Desktop review: £3,750
For further information on the service, please email the design and conservation team at email@example.com or download the Waltham Forest Design Advice Panel Guide (pdf 2.7MB).
DRAFT Waltham Forest Design Charter for Schools Click to get info
Waltham Forest Council is seeking your views on the draft Design Charter for Schools. This document sets out the Council’s aspirations for school design and provides guidance for interested parties involved in proposals for existing and new schools.
Consultation will run for a period of four weeks, from Monday 26 February to Friday 23 March 2018. All comments during this time will be taken into account in preparing the final document for adoption.
Viewing the document
Download Waltham Forest Design Charter for Schools (pdf 1.3 MB).
View on the consultation portal
Hard copies are available at Waltham Forest Libraries during normal opening hours.
How to respond
The Council’s preferred method for receiving consultation responses is through our online consultation portal at walthamforest-consult.limehouse.co.uk/portal/pp/design/schools_design_charter
Alternatively, you can submit your comments by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to: Design and Conservation, Room G08, Sycamore House, Waltham Forest Town Hall Complex, London E17 4JF.
All comments must be received by 5:00 pm on Friday 23 March.
For further information, please contact the Design and Conservation Team on 020 8496 6736 or 020 8496 6739.
Waltham Forest Design Charter for Homes Click to get info
The Waltham Forest Design Charter sets out the council’s commitment to achieving high quality design in all new housing developments. It was developed to support the significant level of housing growth expected in Waltham Forest over the next few years.
The 10 key urban design principles of the charter are:
- High quality buildings - Encourage distinctive and innovative architecture using quality materials built to high standards.
- Responding to context - Ensure developments integrate with their surroundings and local heritage, and link with adjacent streets and paths to create direct and convenient routes to local services such as shops, schools and public transport.
- A mix of homes - Work with developers and partners to provide a mix of housing types and sizes that are accessible for all and meet the needs of residents both now and in the future.
- Good quality internal layouts - Ensure new homes have high quality spacious and adaptable rooms and living areas which meet current planning policy standards.
- Safe and overlooked streets - Promote housing layouts that have windows and doors facing on to streets and public areas so they are overlooked and feel safe.
- Quality gardens and private spaces - Ensure private and shared gardens are well-designed, safe and usable with good quality landscaping and planting.
- Energy efficient - Meet the challenges of climate change by promoting better energy sources in new developments.
- Well designed parking - Design for car, cycle parking and servicing at an early stage so it is convenient, safe and attractive and not left as an afterthought.
- People-friendly streets - Ensure high standards in the design and quality of streets and other public areas to encourage their use as social places, where pedestrians and cyclists come first.
- Well maintained and managed - Promote high standards of housing management and maintenance to ensure long term quality for residents.
Waltham Forest design guidance and SPDs Click to get info
Waltham Forest Design Awards Click to get info
Introduced in 1990 and run in partnership with Waltham Forest Guardian, the Waltham Forest Design Awards was established to recognise, reward and celebrate quality architecture and urban design within the borough.
The 2017 competition opens on Monday 9 January. To see full guidance information and how to enter, visit Waltham Forest Design Awards 2017.