Job skills courses and support into work Click to get info
In the wake of Covid-19, our Adult Learning Service is ready to provide you with support to help you get a job. Opportunities include job-related qualifications, such as digital skills, interview skills and teamwork, support in applying or accessing job vacancies, as well as a range of other courses. All the services provided are free for unemployed Waltham Forest residents or discounted depending on your circumstances.
CV and application advice Click to get info
Applying for a job can mean lots of different things, a CV, a cover letter, even psychometric tests. Follow the links to learn more about each of these, view templates and examples and how to avoid making common mistakes.
- The national careers service how to write a CV
- Head to Prospects for advice on how to write a CV and Cover letters as well as examples and much more
- For general CV tips and common mistakes visit the Job Help Campaign as well as top tips for tackling competency based application forms
- CV templates from future learn
- All the information you need on psychometric tests from The University of Kent
Interview advice Click to get info
Interviews can be a scary prospect, but help is at hand, see the links below for videos, fact sheets and blogs.
- There is a step-by-step guide to the interview process on the National Careers Service website
- Learn how to succeed at interviews with Future Learn
- Get advice with video interviews on LinkedIn
- Go to Job Help Campaign for interview tips
Help with interview clothing and coaching
Making a great first impression is crucial in landing a job. Receive help with interview clothing and coaching and more through:
Job Centre claimants should speak to their dedicated Work Coach for interview clothing and travel fares.
Virtual Jobs Fairs Click to get info
We held our first of a series of free virtual jobs fairs on the 19 November 2020
Our speakers gave tips on what they expect from applicants and how to apply for live roles. We gave a short presentation about apprenticeships, and jobs in a wide range of sectors including the civil service, transport, childcare, education, security, energy, and recruitment.
To read more about the event, the employers involved and for up to date information on the next virtual job fair visit the adult learning service.
Financial advice Click to get info
Turn2us is a national charity providing practical help to people who are struggling financially.
If you need more than online guidance and to access local advisors for specific issues use the Find an Adviser tool.
For more information on government support:
Employment and Metal Health support Click to get info
Work can be hard at the best of times.
Support is available to those
- 16 and over
- in work, on an apprenticeship, about to start work or furloughed
- living in Britain
- have mental health difficulties that impact upon work
To access support please contact