Eligibility Click to get info
This type of housing is intended for people aged 50 or over who need some support to live independently.
We give priority to people:
- who are disabled or living with long-term health problems
- living in unsuitable homes
- who are socially isolated
- wishing to downsize from a council or registered provider (housing association) property
A sheltered housing scheme allows you to live in a secured setting and take part in social activities with other residents.
Types of sheltered housing Click to get info
Sheltered housing includes:
- self-contained flats
- studio flats with shared bathrooms
- studio flats with one main room and a separate kitchen and toilet
We have an independent living officer who visits and provides housing management services. The officer will:
- assess repairs
- help you in emergencies
- arrange visits from health professionals
- help you to access alternative support services
Applying for sheltered housing Click to get info
Any Waltham Forest resident 50 years old or more can apply for sheltered housing in the borough. If you own a home there may be other options for you, depending on the value of your home.
You can make an online application to join our housing register. You’ll also need to complete a sheltered housing application form as part of your online application.
If you're having any difficulty in making an online application, please contact us on 0208 496 3000 for help and advice.
After we receive your application, we’ll contact you once we assess your priority. If we give you priority for sheltered housing, you’ll receive advice about how to bid for properties. If we don't give you priority, you’ll receive advice about what to do if you want us to review your application again.