Sensory needs


Help living with hearing and visual impairments and other sensory processing disorders.

Specialist Children’s Community Nursing comprises of three teams, all of whom work together to provide continuity of care for children and young people who have additional or specialist health needs.

Find out more about the Specialist Children’s Community Nursing Team

Barts Health provide an integrated Neuro-ophthalmology service to the local population of Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest, Redbridge and Newham.

The Neuro-ophthalmology service caters for patients who suffer from a variety of conditions such as optic nerve disorders (swelling, pallor), pupil abnormalities (unequal size, abnormal reaction to light), impaired eye movements (nystagmus, nerve palsies) and loss of visual field (strokes, space occupying lesions).

Find out more about the Integrated Neuro-ophthalmology service on the NHS website

If you have a visual and/or hearing impairment and are finding it hard to manage, you can get help and support from Waltham Forest Sensory Support Service (which is provided by the RNID). This is a free council funded service that can offer, depending on your eligibility:

  • A specialist sensory needs assessment
  • A rehabilitation service, including mobility and daily living skills training
  • Equipment for day-to-day living, for example flashing doorbells, television amplifiers and other alerting devices
  • Training in communication skills - using Braille, British Sign Language or Deaf Blind Manual
  • Support to access BSL interpreters
  • Advice and information on support available locally, regionally and nationally
  • Sensory loss registration

If you feel this service will help you or the person you are caring for, please contact our Adult Front Door Assessment Team by calling 020 8496 3000.

If you are having inpatient treatment at a hospital, please contact your GP as soon as possible following discharge so they can make the appropriate and necessary referrals to support you with your sensory loss.

If you receive a Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI) from a hospital ophthalmologist, you can send this to our Adult Front Door Assessment Team, and they will arrange for a worker from Waltham Forest Sensory Support Service to contact you, to:

  • Check if you would like your name to be added to the Council’s register of blind and partially sighted people.
  • Discuss if you would like to be assessed by a visual impairment specialist, to consider ways of helping you to stay as independent as possible.

You can send us your CVI by:

E-mailing it to
Asking for help from our support staff at a Library Plus.
Posting it to:

Adult Front Door Assessment Team
Willow House
869 Forest Road
London E17 4UH

Contact details for Waltham Forest Sensory Support Service (WFSSS):

WFSSS can make arrangements for a video assessment for BSL users.