Eligibility Click to get info
To be appointed as a school governor you must be at least 18 years old, there's no upper age limit and all governors are required to undergo an enhanced DBS check upon their selection.
All governors are elected or appointed for a specific term of office of up to four years, once appointed all governors have the same voting rights.
Parent governors Click to get info
Parent governors are elected by the parents of pupils at the school.
They do not have to stand down if their child leaves the school during their term of office. If not enough parents stand for election, parent governors may be appointed by the governing board.
Local authority governors Click to get info
All candidates are required to complete an application form. Completed forms will be passed to the portfolio lead for children and young people for approval. If approved, your application will be sent to the nominated governing board for consideration and appointment.
Staff governors Click to get info
The head teacher is automatically a governor, with full voting rights, of the governing board. They can chose to opt out if they wish. Staff governors are elected by staff at the school and the total number of staff members on a governing board cannot exceed more than one third of the total places. Staff governors must be employed by the school at the time of election and will cease to be a governor should they leave their employment.
Co opted governors Click to get info
Co-opted governors are appointed by the governing body.
They are persons who, in the opinion of the governing body, have the skills required to contribute to the effective governance and success of the school.
Associate members Click to get info
Associate members are appointed by the governing body as a member of any committee established by the governing body, but who is not a governor.
Foundation governors Click to get info
Foundation governors are a person who:
- is appointed as a governor by any person other than the local authority
- is appointed for the purpose of securing that the character of the school including
- where the school has a particular religious character such religious character, is
- preserved and developed
- where the school has a foundation, is appointed for the purpose of securing that the school is conducted in accordance with the foundation’s governing documents
Partnership governor Click to get info
Where the school has a religious character, a “partnership governor” means a person who is appointed for the purpose of securing that such religious character is preserved and developed.
In September 2012 new Reconstitution Regulations were released, these state that the total membership of the governing body of a maintained school must be no fewer than seven governors.
The governing body of a maintained school must include the following:
- at least two parent governors
- the head teacher (unless the head teacher resigns the office of governor)
- one staff governor; and
- one local authority governor
The governing body may also appoint such number of co-opted governors as they consider necessary.
The total number of co-opted governors who are also eligible to be elected as staff governors when counted with the staff governor and the head teacher, must not exceed one third of the total membership of the governing body.
Could you become a school governor? Click to get info
There are in the region of 920 governorships to govern the 78 schools in Waltham Forest. With this number of volunteers needed, there are always vacancies for skilled, knowledgeable governors.
- all Governing Boards are encouraged to complete a full skills analysis to ensure they have enough expertise to carry out their duties
- school governors can come from all aspects of the local community, can take on and learn a lot through the role and do not need any formal qualifications
- the only requirement is to give time and commitment, and personally enjoy a rewarding role
- being a school governor offers you an extraordinary opportunity to make a real difference at the heart of the community.
If you are interested in becoming a school governor, please download the school governor application form (4,711KB Word file), fill in and return to us at the address below.
Governors Connect Click to get info
Governors' Connect Spring 2015
Correction: Page 4: the correct email address for Rishi Peetamsingh is firstname.lastname@example.org
At the last Schools Forum meeting that took place on 11 February, it was agreed to cancel the March meeting, therefore the next Schools Forum meeting will take place on Wednesday 10 June at the new time of 5:30pm (Light refreshments from 5:00pm)