Proposed roadworks information and how to report problems with roadworks in Waltham Forest.

The most common statutory undertakers that are allowed to work on the public highway in Waltham Forest are:



Thames Water

UK Power Networks

National Grid Gas

Transport for London (TfL)

Virgin Media

BT Openreach

They are known by different names such as utility companies, statutory undertakers, stats companies, or works promoters. There are other companies that allowed to work on the public highway, but the list above covers the main group.  Under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 they are entitled to dig in the highway in order to provide and maintain their services.

If you have enquiries or concerns about works undertaken by a utility company on a public road:

  • you should first try to identify which company is responsible for the problem
  • inform the company using the contact details above

If you are unable to identify the company, or you receive an unsatisfactory response from them, you can report a road or utility works problem to the Council using the link on the right hand side of this page or telephone the Council on 020 8496 3000.


Street Works Licence

Most utility works are carried out by statutory undertakers, and they apply directly to the Council for a street works permit.  Qualified contractors undertaking other works (e.g. for new drainage connections) need a licence (section 50) to open or tunnel through the public highway.

Download the Street Works Licence application form  (407KB PDF)

Application conditions, costs and payment details are on the form.​

Temporary Traffic Order

A temporary traffic order is required if traffic restrictions (for example: road closure, banned turn, parking restrictions* etc) are necessary for street works.

Download the Temporary Traffic Order application form (432KB PDF)

Application conditions, costs and payment details are on the form.

*For parking restrictions, a Traffic Order is required where there are no existing parking controls. Where there are existing parking bays, apply for a parking suspension.

If you don't have access to a computer, you can visit a Library Plus branch where you can use a self-service pc to log your request/report.  Staff are available to support you if you need it.​​​​​​​