Report planning breaches

Planning and building control

Breaches of planning control are investigated by the Planning Enforcement Team.

What we investigate Click to get info

We investigate the following:

  • change of use commercial: the use of the building/site is changed without planning permission (this links takes you to the Planning Portal)
  • change of use residential: the use of a residential is changed without planning permission
  • domestic extension: building works is carried out without planning permission or planning conditions are not kept
  • flat conversation: property that has been converted into flats without planning permission
  • Home in Multiple Occupation: property that is used as a HMO without planning permission
  • unauthorised advertising: advertisement that is displayed without planning permission
  • untidy land
  • high hedges or trees (this links takes you to the Planning Portal)
  • oversized/ multiple satellite dishes (this links takes you to the Planning Portal)
  • oversized walls and fences
  • hardstanding/ drives
  • dropped kerbs   
  • building works in conservation area/ listed building
  • works to a tree preservation order
  • people living in outbuilding
  • building works not in accordance with the approved plans

What we don't investigate Click to get info

How to make a complaint Click to get info

Before making a complaint you should check to see if permission has been granted.

Search the online planning database here.

In some cases people can do works without needing planning permission.

Check to see what work is permitted without planning permission here on the Planning Portal.

If you think a development doesn't have planning permission, you should tell us about it today using this online planning enforcement enquiry form.

Further information

Download our planning enforcement policy (64KB PDF)

See our planning enforcement service standards here (130KB DOC)

To see planning enforcements since 2015 please visit the portal.

NB this is currently being updated so may not be complete..

You can see previous planning enforcements here.

If you have any questions or want to see registers from pre-2009 please get in touch, or call 020 8496 3000 and ask for the Planning Enforcement Team.

Contact Click to get info

Planning Enforcement

Environment and Regeneration
Waltham Forest Council
​The Magistrates, 1 Farnan Avenue, Walthamstow, London E17 4NX

Phone 020 8496 3000