Who is responsible for paying Council Tax? Click to get info
You're responsible for paying Council Tax if you're:
- the owner of the freehold property
- the person who leased the property
- a tenant (including a council tenant)
- the person who lives in the property
- a squatter
I'm the owner, but I don't live in the property. Am I liable?
You're responsible for paying the Council Tax bill if any of the following apply:
- no adults live in the property as their main home
- the property is let to more than one person, for example hostels, or bedsits with people who share facilities
- the property is a residential care home, nursing home or mental nursing home
- the property is occupied by a religious group or ministers
- domestic service staff live in the property
- asylum seekers live in the property
Some people aren't counted as an adult for Council Tax purposes. See who doesn't count as an adult on GOV.UK.