Register for Council Tax



If you move into the borough, you'll need to register for Council Tax.

To register, please follow these steps:

Step 1

Sign up for My Account - where you can manage your council services.

Find out more about My Account and how to set it up, or go directly to sign up now.

Step 2

Once you have a My Account, use the form below to tell us you're moving into the borough. We'll use this to register you for Council Tax.

Tell us you're moving into Waltham Forest

You're responsible for paying Council Tax if you're:

  • the owner of the freehold property
  • the person who leased the property
  • a tenant (including a council tenant)
  • the person who lives in the property
  • a squatter

I'm the owner, but I don't live in the property. Am I liable? 

You're responsible for paying the Council Tax bill if any of the following apply:

  • no adults live in the property as their main home
  • the property is let to more than one person, for example hostels, or bedsits with people who share facilities
  • the property is a residential care home, nursing home or mental nursing home
  • the property is occupied by a religious group or ministers
  • domestic service staff live in the property
  • asylum seekers live in the property

Some people aren't counted as an adult for Council Tax purposes. See who doesn't count as an adult on GOV.UK.