How to register a stillbirth

Front cover of Register of births

Stillbirths should be registered in 42 days.

If the baby’s parents are married:

  • the mother or;
  • the father

If the baby’s parents are not married:

  • the mother or;
  • the mother accompanied by the father (for the father’s name to appear on the certificate)

You can find more information at GOV.UK guidance on registering a stillbirth.

In exceptional circumstances, someone else might be able to register. 

Book an appointment to register a stillbirth

Please allow plenty of time for parking. If you're late we may not be able to see you and your appointment will be re-booked.

You need to bring the medical certificate of stillbirth from the doctor or midwife.

At your appointment the registrar will ask for the::

  • Date and place of stillbirth
  • Child's forename(s) and surname, if the parents wish to name the child
  • Sex of the child
  • Parent's forename(s) and surname
  • Parent's date and place of birth
  • Occupation at the time of the stillbirth
  • Usual address at the date of the stillbirth
  • Date of marriage (if applicable)
  • Number of previous children

How much does it cost? Click to get info

Registering a stillbirth is free. When you register you'll be issued with a short version certificate with the baby’s details. You can buy a full certificate containing the parent’s details for £11 per copy.

When you make your booking you'll be asked to pay for your certificates by debit or credit card.

You can buy extra certificates at your registration appointment. Certificates ordered after the day of registration are more expensive.​

If you need a copy of a certificate, read our copy certificate information for costs and how to apply.

If you don't have access to a computer, you can visit a Library Plus branch to use our self-service pc to log your request/report.  Someone will be there to help you if you need it.​​​​​​​

Contact Click to get info

If the information above has not answered your questions, you can email the Register Office.