What is happening Click to get info
We are considering plans for the new building, which will include a ground floor ‘Families and Homes Hub’ for the community.
The hub will give Waltham Forest residents access to our Families and Homes teams in a safe and welcoming environment. It will help us better engage with our residents most in need of those services, in line with our commitment to building better services and putting Waltham Forest residents at the heart of everything we do.
The approximately 65 homes built as part of the development (subject to planning) will help fund the new community facilities, and the project has set a target of 50 percent affordable homes, prioritised for local people.
Throughout the project, we will be working closely with local residents, businesses, community groups, and other stakeholders.
The new Families and Homes Hub Click to get info
The hub will help people in a single modern, integrated and convenient setting. Our proposed design will include:
- A self-check-in reception space and signposting to relevant services
- A flexible pop-up space showing residents how Council services and programmes can help them
- A meet and greet area
- An assessment and interview area offering open and private spaces
- Workspace for council officers
Timeline Click to get info
5 December 2019: Cabinet approved a project delivery budget of up to £3 million. For details, see page 331 in the 5 December Cabinet report
10 August 2020: Hoarding artwork installed around the site
13 August 2020: Opening of the new Wood Street Library at Marlowe Road
29 September 2020: Start of public consultation
November 2020 to March 2021: Proposed demolition of the former Wood Street library building
October to December 2020: Public engagement
January 2021: Planning application submitted and, when validated, statutory consultation will take place
July 2021: Building contractor appointed
October 2021: Target date for start of works
October 2023: Target date for completion of works
FAQs Click to get info
Keep informed Click to get info
- Download the Families and Homes Hub Newsletter April 2021
- Download the Families and Homes Hub Newsletter 11 February 2021
- Download the Families and Homes Hub Newsletter 25 January 2021
- Download the Families and Homes Hub newsletter 18 December 2020
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 4 December 2020
- Download the Families and Homes Hub newsletter 27 November 2020
- Download Marlowe Road and Wood Street email newsletter 24 November 2020