Walthamstow High Street and Market Strategy Click to get info
Walthamstow High Street is a vibrant, varied place of trade and focus for the Town’s communities and activities. It is the commercial heart of the borough and hosts Europe’s longest street market and is next to The Mall shopping centre.
The Council recognises the opportunity to facilitate positive, inclusive changes to the High Street to ensure the future of the market. We have been working with Matter Architecture to develop and deliver improvements to the High Street area.
Initial pilot schemes took place in summer 2019 along with engagement activities to gather feedback, with about 160 people sharing their views. Find more information about the proposals.
Rosebank Villas Art Installation Click to get info
The winning art installation is now completed.
In the summer of 2018 artists, architects, designers and creatives from all backgrounds were invited to submit expressions of interest to participate in a design competition for an implementable temporary artistic intervention at the highly visible Rosebank Villas route to celebrate the distinctive character of Walthamstow High Street and Market and make a visible contribution to the public realm.
Twelve expressions of interest were submitted and a shortlist of six participants were chosen and each presented their ideas for interventions to the public on Sunday 16 September 2018 at the HighTide Festival site in Walthamstow Town Square.
The six shortlisted submissions came from:
People attending that meeting voted the concept put forward by Edward Crooks as their favourite scheme.
The Design Competition was Funded by Great Place: Creative Connections, a programme supported by Arts Council England and the National Lottery Heritage Fund. The Great Place Scheme is designed to put arts, culture and heritage at the heart of the local community.
Newsletters Click to get info
- Download Walthamstow email newsletter 7 August 2020
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 20 February 2020
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 16 December 2019
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 27 November 2019
- Download the Walthamstow Town Centre email newsletter 20 November 2019
- Download the Have Your Say email newsletter 13 November 2019
- Download the Walthamstow Town Centre email newsletter 21 October 2019
- Download the Walthamstow Town Centre email newsletter 11 September 2019
- Download The Mall newsletter 14 August 2019
- Download the Walthamstow Town Centre email newsletter 25 June 2019
- Download email newsletter 17 June 2019
- Download the 3 June 2019 newsletter
- Download the 14 February 2019 newsletter
- Download the October 2018 newsletter
- Download the email newsletter of Wednesday 10 October 2018