Across Waltham Forest the Council is working to deliver more affordable homes for local people, including Council homes for rent and for shared ownership where local residents get the first option to buy so they can get a foot on the housing ladder.
An important part of these developments is delivering improved transport services, new health hubs, schools and community facilities alongside new shops and work spaces to provide local jobs.
The Council has been set a target of 18,000 new homes being built in the borough over the next 10 years and our aim is to include as many affordable homes within that figure as possible.
One of the sites identified is Site C in South Grove, Walthamstow, which has previously been occupied by four industrial units.
The site is within the St James’ Quarter.
What is proposed?
The proposals include:
- 83 new homes including 20 social housing for rent, 17 shared ownership, and 46 for private sale
- a 1,500 sqm health care facility with related car parking spaces
- four wheelchair accessible car parking spaces
- landscaping and amenity space
- secure cycle parking
- solar panels will be installed
Who will do the development?
Sixty Bricks, the Council owned development company will be responsible for building this scheme.
What happens when?
Tuesday 3 September 2019 Planning application, reference number 192899, submitted
See the details of the planning application and comments on the proposals online
Tuesday 3 December 2019 Planning Committee approves planning application
Monday 11 May 2020: Site preparation begins
Monday 18 May 2020: Work begins on site including demolition of existing buildings
June 2020: Demolition of existing buildings begins
Autumn 2021 Expected completion of scheme
A Meet the Contractor drop in event was held on Tuesday 10 March, 4.30pm to 7.30pm at Meeting Room, CRATE Building, 35 St James Street, Walthamstow, E17 7FY where the contractors explained how they will be operating the site, including delivery materials and equipment.
A drop in engagement event took place on Wednesday 14 August at The Mill, 7-11 Coppermill Lane, Walthamstow, E17 7HA.
Council officers were available to discuss the proposals and answer questions.
Keeping you informed
- Download Walthamstow email newsletter 7 August 2020
- Download Engie's letter to residents 16 May 2020
- Download the Site C South Grove email newsletter 15 May 2020
- Download Engie's Meet the Contractor leaflet 10 March 2020
- Download the St James' Quarter email newsletter 27 February 2020
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 20 February 2020
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 16 December 2019
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 27 November 2019
- Download the Have Your Say email newsletter 13 September 2019
- Download the St James Quarter email newsletter 23 August 2019
- Download the email newsletter 13 August 2019
- See the information drop in event leaflet 9 August 2019
Sixty Bricks Project Officer, Emily Mountford
Waltham Forest Council’s Stakeholder Relations and Community Engagement Manager, Keith Brown