The Regal Cinema is at 491 - 495 Hale End Road, Chingford, E4 9PT
The Highams Park Electric Theatre opened on Saturday 1 April 1911. It was designed by architect W.A. Lewis and had a seating capacity of 550. It was re-named Regal Cinema in 1928 and improvements were made to the building in 1933.
In 1935, it was partly rebuilt to the plans of architectural firm Howes & Jackman. It received a new modern Art Deco style facade and entrance foyer. A cafe was added in the circle foyer and a Rutt 3Manual/6Ranks organ was installed in the modernised and enlarged auditorium, which now seated 615. The Regal Cinema re-opened on Saturday 23 September 1935.
Always independently operated, the Regal Cinema was closed on Wednesday 11 September 1963.
Since then it has been used as a bingo hall, snooker hall and on occasions for showing films.
What is planned?
Planning application, reference number 173877 was validated on Tuesday 31 October 2017.
On Tuesday 20 March 2018 Waltham Forest Council resolved to grant planning permission subject to planning conditions and a legal agreement.
The planning application was for redevelopment of the Regal and adjoining site to provide:
- two cinema screens
- an ancillary cafe bar and restaurant (Use Class A3)
- a total of 30 residential apartments (22 X one bedroom, 6 x two bedroom and 2 x three bedroom)
Since the scheme was reported to Planning Committee, the site ownership has changed. This has resulted in the need to make some amendments to planning conditions and the heads of terms in the legal agreement. The application was therefore being re-presented to the Committee for them to agree these changes.
What happens when?
- Tuesday 31 October 2017: Planning application validated
- Tuesday 20 March 2018: Planning Committee resolved to grant planning permission subject to conditions and a legal agreement
- Tuesday 7 July 2020: Application re-presented to Planning Committee to agree amendments to the previously proposal legal agreement. Planning Committee resolved to grant planning permission. Read the report presented to Planning Committee which starts on page 125. The meeting was recorded and can be viewed online, starting at 53 minutes 39 seconds
- July/August 2020: Legal agreement will be signed and the planning permission issued.
- December 2022: Anticipated completion of the scheme
Keeping you informed
You can subscribe to The Regal Cinema email newsletter to keep up to date on the progress of this development.