As part of the Council’s ongoing commitment to regenerate parts of the Borough over the next 20 years, Priory Court in Highams Hill, Walthamstow has been identified as a potential site to help provide more homes for local people along with related community facilities.
The regeneration of Priory Court is high on the Council’s agenda. Sixty Bricks Limited (our Development Company), is currently working in conjunction with the Mayor of London.
The proposed scheme will also deliver the updated community facilities including brand new community centre, nursery, and retail units.
What is planned?
The proposal is to build new homes (mixed tenure residential apartments) to accompany the new community hall, commercial properties, pre-school nursery, retail units and Multi Use Games Area (MUGA) on the site, all will be available to the local community.
In addition, we intend to build modern facilities to replace the existing corner shop, pharmacy, pre-school nursery and community hall.
The proposals include:
- 118 apartments comprising one to four-bedroom new homes
- 52 per cent of the new homes will be affordable
- 10% of the homes will be suitable for people with disabilities
- Landscaping works
- Secure cycle storage within the building for all residents
- Parking bays for use by people with disabilities
- Solar panels will be fitted on the development
- Electric vehicle charging points will be available
The proposal details may change during the resident engagement and planning process.
Following the first engagement meetings with residents it has been agreed that the new community hall and pre-school nursery will be completed and operational before the existing facilities are closed and demolished.
Who is doing the work?
Sixty Bricks (the Council-owned development company) will be managing the development of the scheme.
What happens when?
- Planning application submitted, and statutory consultation takes place August 2021
- Contract awarded December 2021
- Start on site June 2022
A Section 105 statutory consultation of secure tenants at Priory Court will take place between Thursday 2 January and Monday 3 February 2020. Download the consultation letter.
A drop-in public engagement event where residents could ask questions of Council officers regarding the proposals was held on Monday 16 December 2019, at The Lounge, Priory Court Community Centre, 11 Priory Court, Walthamstow, E17 5NB.
Residents were able to comment on the proposals at a meeting on Thursday 24 October 2019 following which eight major changes were made to the proposals and these were shared at a second meeting with residents on Monday 16 December 2019.
The eight major changes are:
- The community centre has been increased in size and will be two storeys leaving more green space in the development
- The community centre has been moved so the green space behind Washington House now remains
- The pre-school nursery is being increased in size from the current 32 children; the new one will take up to 60 children
- The new community centre and pre-school nursery will open before the existing ones close
- We are asking residents what activities they would like to see at the community centre
- We will be working with residents to improve lighting on the estate
- There will be several places on the estate where dedicated play areas will be provided for different ages of children
- The existing games area will be replaced by a Multi-Use Games Area to offer a wider variety of sports to be played
A drop-in public engagement event where residents could ask questions of Council officers regarding the proposals was held on Thursday 24 October 2019 at The Lounge, Priory Court Community Centre, 11 Priory Court, Walthamstow, E17 5NB.
See the information boards being used at this meeting
A drop-in public engagement event where residents could ask questions of Council officers regarding the proposals took place on Friday 1 November 2019 at The Lounge, Priory Court Community Centre, 11 Priory Court, Walthamstow, E17 5NB.
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 4 December 2020
- Download the Local Plan email newsletter for Priory Court 8 October 2020
- Download Walthamstow email newsletter 7 August 2020
- Download Waltham Forest Council's Priory Court email newsletter 4 August 2020
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 20 February 2020
- Download Priory Court email newsletter 15 January 2020
- Download Priory Court email newsletter 10 January 2020
- Download Priory Court email newsletter 23 December 2019
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 16 December 2019
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 10 December 2019
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 27 November 2019
- Download the Priory Court email newsletter 19 October 2019
- Download the Priory Court leaflet 9 October 2019
More information is available from: