What is happening Click to get info
In order to realise the full benefits of this opportunity for the borough, we have commissioned Gort Scott to create a detailed urban design strategy and development framework for the New Spitalfields and Leyton Mills area of the borough.
The strategy and framework will present an informed view of the full development potential of the sites and a holistic understanding of potential delivery and phasing.
The project is supported by a range of public sector organisations including the Greater London Authority, Transport for London, City of London Corporation and London Legacy Development Corporation.
Public engagement will take place during Summer 2021 with all stakeholders invited to respond and contribute to the vision.
What is an urban design strategy? Click to get info
An urban design strategy establishes a vision for an area, setting out place-making principles and the development objectives for a new vibrant mixed-use neighbourhood. Urban Design Strategies look beyond individual sites and consider the wider context.
What is a development framework? Click to get info
Development frameworks provide a further layer of detail to the broad objectives outlined in urban design strategies.
Development frameworks establish an appropriate balance of development and land uses on key sites for the benefit of current and future local residents and businesses. This could include options for:
- housing (including affordable housing)
- connectivity and infrastructure
- addressing the climate emergency
- education, health and community
- open space and landscape (with appropriate use of the Metropolitan Open Land at the Eton Manor site)
- meanwhile uses
What happens when? Click to get info
- Monday 5 October 2020: Leyton Mills Development Framework invitation to tender published through GLA’s Architecture and Urbanism Panel
- Friday 18 December 2020: Consultants chosen
- January to March 2021: Leyton Mills Urban Design Strategy produced
- April to July 2021: Leyton Mills Development Framework produced, including public engagement