What is planned?
The scheme includes:
Building 436 new homes including:
- 150 for Council rent
- 18 for shared ownership
- Building 1123 sq metres of commercial space including new shops
- A new public plaza in Wood Street
- A new children’s play area
- Landscaping and planting, including trees and a water feature
- New footpaths
- New cycle routes
- 338 cycle parking spaces
A planning application, reference number 200180, was approved by the Planning Committee on Tuesday 31 March 2020.
The application amended the previous planning permission, reference number 151652 of Tuesday 20 September 2016, to allow 12 extra new homes to be provided on the site.
The application included an additional four new affordable homes on the site.
Who is doing the work?
Countryside Partnerships South is undertaking the work.
What happens when?
Phase 1A of the scheme was “topped out” in June 2018.
The 18 shared ownership properties in Phase 1A were handed over in October 2018 with four being bought by residents from the old Marlowe Road estate and a further nine bought by Waltham Forest residents.
The 34 homes for Council rent in Phase 1A were handed over on Thursday 6 December 2018.
Of the 51 homes in Phase 1A sold on the open market, 78.4 per cent (43 homes) were sold to local people with existing Waltham Forest postcodes.
The London Help to Buy scheme is available on this development.
The first residents moved in during January 2019, with the project due to be completely finished by the end of 2024.
The Marlowe Road Energy Centre was officially opened on Friday 26 April 2019. It will provide cost-effective hot water for heating, bathroom and kitchen taps throughout the estate.
This energy centre, which helps tackle the climate emergency by reducing household carbon emissions by making efficient use of heat from electricity generation which would otherwise be lost.
The new Co-op supermarket opened in Summer 2019 and the Post Office in December 2019. Both were paid for as part of the Marlowe Road estate redevelopment.
After closing down due to the COVID-19 pandemic work restarted on site on Monday 1 June 2020.
The new Wood Street Library Plus was officially opened on Thursday 13 August 2020.
Extended working hours
The Government is emphasising the important role in delivering economic recovery as the Covid-19 pandemic continues.
It has introduced regulations that allow developers to work outside working hours specified in planning agreements.
Countryside has said it will be making use of these regulations on the Feature 17 scheme in Marlowe Road.
The new working hours will be:
- Monday to Friday, 7am to 7pm (noisy machinery will not be used before 8am)
- Saturday 8am to 3pm
- Sunday, only occasional special work with prior notification given
Noise and disturbance to residents will be kept to a minimum.
Keeping you informed
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 4 December 2020
- Download Marlowe Road and Wood Street email newsletter 24 November 2020
- Download Marlowe Road and Wood Street email newsletter 7 August 2020
- Download Marlowe Road and Wood Street email newsletter 7 July 2020
- Download the Marlowe Road email newsletter 29 May 2020
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 20 February 2020
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 16 December 2019
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 27 November 2019
- Download the Marlowe Road and Wood Street email newsletter 29 August 2019
- Download the Marlowe Road and Wood Street email newsletter 27 May 2019
Plans and general information can be found at the Feature17 website
More information is available from: