Paying for your own care and support



If you are assessed as having un-met eligible needs and you start to receive funded support from the local authority, you’ll then need a financial assessment. This will be arranged by us.

Self-funding Click to get info

If you have assets over £23,250, you’ll usually pay all your care costs. This is called being a 'self-funder'.
For more information you can:

    The Care Act saw the introduction of deferred payment agreements across England. This means that people shouldn’t have to sell their homes to pay for care, as they’ve sometimes had to do in the past.

    A Deferred Payment Agreement is essentially a loan from us that’ll enable some people to use the value of their home to pay for their care. If you’re eligible, we’ll help to pay care home bills on your behalf. This money can then be repaid after you choose to sell your home, or after your death.

    Deferred payments are however only one way to pay for care. You should get legal and financial advice to find out your options before making any final decision.

    See further information and how to apply for the deferred payment scheme (pdf 111KB)

    What we need from you Click to get info

    We’ll need to know about:

    • your income
    • your expenditure
    • your savings
    • any other assets

    We’ll then:

    • check to make sure that you’re receiving all the correct benefits. If you’re not, we’ll tell the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) who’ll help you to make a claim for them 
    • calculate what you can afford to pay
    • explain how you can pay
    • ensure that you fully understand what will happen in the future if anything changes with your finances 

    You’ll receive your first invoice within seven weeks of the visit, or a letter explaining why this is not possible.