Take action today Click to get info
- Swap your alcoholic drinks for something softer this January
- Indulge families and friends with these exciting mocktails (non alcoholic cocktail) recipes
- Download the Try Dry app to keep track of how much you are drinking and how much money and calories you are saving.
- Take up a new hobby or activity to occupy you such as listening to a podcast, reading, exercise or cooking
- Take the Drinkcoach quiz to assess your drinking and receive free advice
If you or anyone you know needs support, DrinkCoach Waltham Forest provides free confidential, personalised advice based on a quick and easy quiz, CGL Waltham Forest offers a free confidential service for residents who are concerned about their drinking.
Benefits of cutting out or cutting down Click to get info
Cutting out alcohol for just one month have been shown to provide the following
- Can reduce liver fat by 15%
- Improved sleep: 70% of people taking part in Dry January reported having better sleep and 66% had more energy
- Money savings: 86% of participants save money
- Improved health: 58% of participants reported losing weight and 65% felt their general health had improved
- Reduced sugar intake: did you know that 7.5 tsps of sugar are found in a vodka and cranberry, almost 70% of your daily allowance!
- Increased chances of healthier long term habits: people who sign up for Dry January are still drinking less riskily even six months later
Staff Story: Thomas's Experience Click to get info
At the beginning with 2020 I decided to give up drinking for mental health reasons. I decided to stop just for 2020, to see what impact it could have. I obviously had no idea what kind year it was going to be when I started!
With everything going on throughout the pandemic, I actually found not drinking really helped with my sleep and I didn’t drink for the sake of it when bored stuck at home.
Sure it was challenging, like when it seemed the only places to see friends was in a pub beer garden, but as other social activities were found, I found it easier breaking my usual drinking habits.
I would recommend giving up, or even reducing alcoholic intake this year, as I don’t think 2021 is going to be any less challenging than 2020.
- Thomas French, Democratic Services Team
Where to get help Click to get info
DrinkCoach Waltham Forest provides free confidential, personalised advice based on a quick and easy quiz. Waltham Forest has funded a limited number of free video calls with a DrinkCoach alcohol specialist for people scoring as increasing or higher risk. Use the code WFPROMO on the booking page (available to adults over 18 only) Only while limited numbers last.
CGL Waltham Forest offers a free confidential service for residents who are concerned about their drinking or need help to change their drug use.
Visit www.walthamforest.gov.uk/alcohol to find out more about support available in Waltham Forest and across London.