Instrumental and vocal tuition Click to get info
We provide instrumental and vocal tuition to schools across Waltham Forest. Instruments vary from school to school and include:
- Brass: Cornet, French horn, trombone, trumpet, tuba
- Woodwind: Bassoon, clarinet, oboe, recorder, saxophone, flute
- Strings: Double bass, cello, viola, violin
- Drum kit
- Guitar (acoustic, electric and bass)
- Piano and keyboards
How to book
If you would like your child to begin lessons at school, please contact the Head of Music or Music Co-ordinator and find out what instruments are available to learn.
If the instrument your child wishes to learn isn’t available at the school, ask the school to contact the Music Service.
Individual instrumental tuition is also available at the Music School if it can’t be arranged at school. To register your interest, complete and return the below form:
- by email to, email@example.com
- by post to Music Service, 12 Church Hill, Walthamstow E17 3AG.
There is usually a waiting list for tuition at the Music School.
Reduced fees for trombone lessons Click to get info
Calling all budding trombonists!
Starting in September 2016 we have a limited number of trombone lessons taking place at the Music Service, 12 Church Hill, Walthamstow E17 3AG.
Lessons will take place on:
- Tuesday 5.30 to 6.00pm – 6 places
- Tuesday 6.00 to 6.30pm – 6 places
Lessons are offered at a reduced rate of £30 per term and trombones will be hired to pupils free of charge. This fee also covers membership of a music school group.
This instrument is an ‘endangered species’ and we want more pupils to enjoy playing it.
How to book
To register your interest please complete and return the below form:
- by email firstname.lastname@example.org
- by post to Music Service, 12 Church Hill, Walthamstow E17 3AG
Music theory classes Click to get info
We offer theory classes in small, relaxed groups at our music school to help develop your child’s understanding of music. Thirty minute classes are available at these times at the Music School:
- Tuesday 4pm to 6.00pm
- Wednesday 4.30pm to 7.30pm
- Saturday 8.30am to 10.30am
- £34 per 10 week term for Music School students (£26 for students in receipt of free school meals)
- £46 per 10 week term for non-Music School students (£38.50 for students in receipt of free school meals)
You can pay your fees online
How to book:
To join a theory group simply turn up 15 minutes before the start of the class to register. You’ll need to complete a Health and Safety form before your child starts their class. The office staff can give you one of these or you can download it.
Groups and ensembles for all abilities Click to get info
We offer a variety of groups and ensembles that cater for all abilities. Playing in a group gives children the chance to apply the skills they gain in instrumental lessons, while improving their confidence and performance skills. They’re also a fun and sociable experience.
Music School pupils are given regular performance and workshop opportunities. Recent groups have performed at the Barbican, Cadogan Hall and Trafalgar Square.
Music Group timetable 2016-17
Beginner - Pre Grade 1
|Junior Guitar Group (Mission Grove Primary)||Monday||4:00 - 5:00pm|
|Beginner Winds||Monday||4:30 - 5:30pm|
|Brass Group (The Winns Primary)||Tuesday||4:00 - 5:00pm|
|North East London Voices||Tuesday||6:30 - 7:30pm|
|Woodland Strings||Thursday||4:15 - 5:15pm|
|Composition Club||Thursday||4:15 - 5:15pm|
|Drumming Group||Thursday||6:30 - 7:30pm|
|Singing Group ages 4-7 (Peterhouse Centre)||Friday||4:15 - 4:45pm|
|Singing Group age 8-11 (Peterhouse Centre)||Friday||4:45 - 5:15pm|
|Junior Choir||Saturday||10:30 - 11:30am|
|Recorder Group||Saturday||12:15 - 1:00pm|
Junior Grade 1-2
|Guitar Group||Tuesday||5:30 - 6:30pm|
|Training Wind Band||Wednesday||4:30 - 5:30pm|
|Saturday Strings||Saturday||9:15 - 10:15am|
Intermediate Grade 3+
|Funk in the Forest||Monday||5:30 - 6:30pm|
|Pop/Soul Band||Tuesday||6:30 - 7:30pm|
|Wind Band||Wednesday||5:30 - 6:30pm|
|Forest Strings||Thursday||5:30 - 6:30pm|
Advanced Grade 4+
|Dance Band||Wednesday||5:30 - 6:30pm|
|Youth Orchestra||Wednesday||6:30 - 8:00pm|
- Beginner groups are free for the Autumn Term
- Music School membership is £28 per 10 week term (£14 for pupils in receipt of free school meals). This entities your child to join one or more group
You can pay you fees online
How to book:
To join a Music School group simply turn up 15 minutes before the start of the class to register. You’ll need to complete a Health and Safety form before your child starts their class. The office staff can give you one of these or download it below:
Music school dates and fees 2016-17 Click to get info
Prices are per term
|Music School Tuition||Length (mins)||Full Price||Concession|
|Learning at WFMS||30||£34||£26|
|Not learning at WFMS||30||£46||£38.50|
|Music School Ensemble Membership||£28||£14|
|Mini Baby Musicians||£55||NA|
Music School Dates 2016-17
|2016-17||First half||Second half||Make up teaching|
|Autumn||17 Sep - 20 Oct||31 Oct - 8 Dec||10 Dec - 15 Dec|
|Spring||7 Jan - 11 Feb||20 Feb - 23 Mar||25 Mar - 30 Mar|
|Summer||22 Apr - 27 May||5 Jun - 10 Jul||11 Jul - 18 Jul|
- Tuition: Each term is 10 weeks long; fees are pro-rated for those starting during term. A half term’s notice is required to cancel lessons.
- One membership covers any number of Music School groups.
- Ensembles: Each term is 10 weeks long; fees are pro-rated for those starting during term. A free taster session is available on request.
- Pay online
Music School Performances Click to get info
|27 September||6.30pm||Friends of WFMS meeting, Music Service|
|18 October||6.30pm||Concert (solos/duets), St. Saviour’s Church|
|11 November||5.00pm||Beginners Concert, Music Service|
|14 November||6.30pm||Solo Performance Platform, Leyton Sixth Form|
|5 December||5.00 & 7.00pm||Christmas Concert (Music School Groups), St. Saviour’s Church|
|8 December||TBC||Civic Carol Concert, Walthamstow Assembly Hall|
|7 February||6.30pm||Concert (solos/duets), St. Saviour’s Church|
|24 February||5.00pm||Beginners Concert, Music Service|
|9 March||6.30pm||Solo Performance Platform, Leyton Sixth Form|
|22 March||TBC||Spring Concert (Music School Groups)|
|23 May||6.30pm||Concert (solos/duets), St. Saviour’s Church|
|6 June||5.00pm||Beginners Concert, Music Service|
|20 June||6.30pm||Solo Performance Platform, Leyton Sixth Form|
|TBC||TBC||Music Festival (Music School Groups)|
Free beginner groups for autumn 2016 term Click to get info
All of our beginner groups are free of charge for the autumn term. If your child has been learning an instrument for two terms or more, joining a group will help them to develop their musical ability.
Our Music Group students take part in termly concerts, go on trips, have opportunities for workshops and make new friends.
You can see timetable and booking information above.
Baby and toddler music groups Click to get info
We run a popular music making session for babies and toddlers at our Music Service, 12 Church Hill, Walthamstow E17 3AG.
Classes are taught by Early Years Music specialists and include singing, dancing and playing with an exciting range of instruments.
- Mini Baby Musicians (3 to 18 months) runs on Tuesdays at 10.45 to 11.30am
- Mini Musicians (18 months to 4 years) runs on Fridays at 10.45 to 11.30am & 11.45 to 12.30pm
- £62.50 per 10 week term
- second child £50.00 per 10 week term
How to book
Please complete a registration form and return by email to email@example.com or post to: Music Service, 12 Church Hill, Walthamstow E17 3AG.
ABRSM instrumental and vocal exams Click to get info
We schedule termly exams with the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) held at our music school. The exams lay good foundations for music making while encouraging students to reach their full potential.
We support pupils throughout their exam preparation by:
- providing an accompanist and extra rehearsal sessions
- offering theory and aural classes to support exam success
- holding a Certificate Presentation Concert to celebrate high achievers
Instrument hire at an affordable price Click to get info
Instruments can be hired for a fee of £20 per term (£10 for students in receipt of free school meals).
How to hire an instrument
- Your child’s tutor will partially complete an instrument hire form with your child’s instrument requirements including the appropriate instrument size
- Your child will bring this form home for you to complete
- The form should then be returned by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Music Service, 12 Church Hill, Walthamstow E17 3AG
- We’ll contact you when your instrument is ready for collection from the Music Service.
Subscribe to our news Click to get info
Help with completing online forms Click to get info
Contact Click to get info
Waltham Forest Music Service
12 Church Hill
Telephone: 020 8496 1584
Office Opening Hours
Monday 12:00pm to 4.30pm
Tuesday 9.30am to 12.30pm
Wednesday 12:00pm to 6.30pm
Thursday 12:00pm to 4.30pm
Friday 9.30am to 12.30pm
We’re closed during school holidays.