Benefits calculator Click to get info
If you’re struggling with working out what benefits you are entitled to, you can use our benefits calculator.
GOV.UK also has information about your benefit entitlement, taxes, and money issues. You can also phone the government's Benefit Cap helpline on 0845 605 7064 for general information about the cap.
Turn2Us also includes a number of tools to explain benefit changes. It has a benefits calculator to help work out your tax credit and benefit entitlement if you are retired, unemployed or in low paid work.
Financial Help Click to get info
Waltham Forest Social Fund
This is a new local assistance scheme for low income households who are unable to access credit and are facing sudden unexpected costs, emergencies or crises.
Find out more about the Waltham Forest Social Fund.
Discretionary Housing Payments
If you need more help with your housing costs you can apply for a discretionary housing payment. This is extra help with your rent if you already get Housing Benefit.
To find out more see Discretionary Housing Payments.
Free local advice Click to get info
They can help you find the right help and advice on your benefits, money or work. Led by the Citizens Advice Bureau, the partnership offers:
- a directory of all the agencies in the Waltham Forest
- answers to frequently asked questions on topics including housing, debt and work
They provide advice on benefits and help people to understand the complicated welfare benefits system, as well as information and help with to residents facing debt problems.
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 1pm (except Wednesdays) and 2 to 4pm.
Telephone: 0808 278 7838 (Freephone)
East London Community Law Service
They can give advice on your benefits and how much you could lose, or whether you can increase your income and minimise debt repayments.
Visit Dahir Community House, 702 High Road Leyton E10 6JP, or email email@example.com.
The East London Credit Union
An alternative to high street banks or expensive payday lenders and offers tools to help people to manage their money and save. Located at 4 Church Hill Walthamstow, E17 3AG
Telephone: 020 8520 8740.
POhWER offers a range of free, confidential and independent information, advice and advocacy services. The service is available to anyone who lives in Waltham Forest.
Telephone: 0208 221 2260
Help with debt and budgeting Click to get info
- The Money Advice Service (0300 500 5000) can help you develop a personal spending plan and gives advice on bank accounts and other financial products
- Money A+E provides information about services to contact for finance and benefit advice
- Walthamstow Citizens Advice Bureau 0808 278 7838 can help with debt problems and provide help to residents who are worried that they may be about to get into debt and want help to prevent it
- StepChange (0800 138 1111) has over 20 years’ experience in providing free, independent and impartial debt advice, helping hundreds of thousands of people every year both on the telephone and online