Licences: Temporary Event Notices



Temporary Event Notices are intended for one-off events (for example school activities, charitable and community events). They will be used for events that include "licensable activities" which last no longer than 168 hours and have no more than 499 people present at any time.


You can download application forms on GOV.UK.

There are two types of TENs:

  • A standard TEN, which is given no later than 10 working days before the event to which it relates
  • A late TEN, which is given not before 9 and not later than 5 working days before the event.


The fee for a Temporary Event Notice is £21.00.

More information

  • If you have a personal licence, you can give 10 late TENs a year; if you don’t have a personal licence you can only give 2 late TENs
  • You can serve a maximum of 5 notices in anyone calendar year (50 if you hold a personal licence)
  • The maximum number of notices that can be served in respect of any one particular premises is 12 per calendar year and they may not exceed an aggregate time period of 21 days.
  • The TEN must be given in writing (including by electronic means) to the local authority at least ten working days before the event to be accepted as a standard TEN; a fee is payable with the notice
  • All TEN applications received with less than 5 whole working days notice before the event starts will automatically be rejected
  • The local authority will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a notice to the premises user before the end of the first working day it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day
  • Unless an application has been submitted electronically, the premises user must also give notice to the chief officer of the local police department and the environmental health in accordance with the above mentioned timescale
  • Counter notices may be provided by the licensing authority if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.

Guidance notes

Eligibility criteria Click to get info

  • An activity that can be licensed must be carried out as detailed in a notice that must be given
  • The notice must be in a specific format and must be made by someone over 18 years of age

The notice should contain the following:

  • If alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority
  • A statement relating to certain matters
  • Any other required information

The matters referred to are:

  • Details of the licensable activities
  • The event period
  • The times when during that period the activities will take place
  • The maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises

Will tacit consent apply? Click to get info

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if no representations have been received within 3 working days of submitting your application.

Live Music Act 2012 Click to get info

The Live Music Act 2012 came into effect on 1 October 2012. The provisions within the Live Music Act, now allows performances of amplified live music in licensed premises (such as bars and clubs) and workplaces for audiences less than 200 people and also unamplified music performances to be exempt from requiring a licence.

Once you have met the above criteria, the exemptions of not requiring a licence is only valid during the hours of 08.00 to 23.00. Any live music that is planned outside of these hours must obtain the necessary licensing consent (a temporary event notice or a premises licence).

More information can be obtained from the Department of Culture, Media and Sport website.

Regulation summary Click to get info

See a summary of the regulation relating to this licence on the Office of Public Sector Information website.

Please contact Waltham Forest Direct on 020 8496 3000.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Licence holder redress

Please contact Waltham Forest Direct on 020 8496 3000.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, you will find advice at Consumer rights. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

If a licensing authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Police objections Click to get info

Events covered by TEN will not need permission from the police or the licensing authority.

However, the police can object on the grounds of preventing crime and disorder only the police and environmental health may issue an objection notice on grounds of any of the four licensing objectives:

  • Prevention of crime and disorder
  • Prevention of public nuisance
  • Public safety
  • Protection of children from harm

Where an objection is raised there would be a hearing by the licensing committee, otherwise the notice would be acknowledged by the council and the event will be able to proceed.

The chief police officer or environmental health officer who receives a notice and believes that the event would undermine at least one of the four licensing objectives can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user. This notice must be served within 3 working days of receipt of the temporary event notice.

The local licensing authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. They may issue a counter notice if it considers it necessary for the promotion of the four licensing objectives. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

The police chief or environmental health team may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

Contact Click to get info

Licensing Service
3 The Square
E10 5NR

Telephone: 020 8496 3000