How to dispose of waste from your business Click to get info
It is the responsibility of each business to make suitable arrangements for their own commercial waste disposal with a licensed waste removal organisation. Business Rates do not cover the cost of waste collection from business premises.
Trade waste disposal can also be done at Bywaters (non-public site), Gateway Road, Leyton.
Duty of Care
All businesses have a legal duty under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to ensure that waste is disposed of responsibly. Businesses that produce waste must take all reasonable steps to keep it safe. If it is given to someone else the business must be sure that they are authorised to take it and can transport, process or dispose of it safely and legally.
Please note that enforcement action may be taken against businesses that are found disposing of their waste irresponsibly or breaching their duty of care.
Duty of care regulations state that businesses must:
- Keep waste packaged safely and securely
- The waste must be packaged in suitable containers so that it cannot fall out, blow away or escape from the receptacle
- It must be secured against unauthorised removal as far as is reasonably practical
- Security should be sufficient to prevent the breaking open of containers and removal of waste by vandals, thieves, animals, accident or weather
- Ensure that anyone taking waste is authorised to do so
- Businesses must ensure that the organisation collecting their waste is fully licensed by the Environment Agency. They will be authorised to remove waste and transport and dispose of it safely
- Give a Waste Transfer Note to the person that removes it
- The business must provide a written description of the waste to the person who removes it. This is known as a waste transfer note and must be completed by both persons involved in the transfer.
To check if a waste removal company are appropriately licensed, please visit the Environment Agency website.
Under section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, Waltham Forest Council may request evidence of a valid waste removal contract or waste transfer notes to ensure commercial waste is being disposed of correctly. Failure to provide documents upon request may result in a Fixed Penalty Notice of £300 being issued, or court proceedings being taken. The maximum fine for this offence if convicted is £5000, or an unlimited fine upon indictment.
Regardless of who provides your commercial waste collections, businesses need to observe local timed collection arrangements. The Environmental Protection Act 1990 states that the local authority may stipulate how and when waste is presented for collection, and as such Waltham Forest Council requires commercial waste to only be presented for collection on the public highway during the allocated periods stated below.
Monday: 6am to 9am
Wednesday: 6am to 9am
Friday: 6am to 9am
Businesses are also required to comply with the following aspects of commercial waste presentation and storage.
- Commercial waste must be contained and fit within the branded bin or refuse sack provided by your licensed collection organisation
- Your receptacle must not overflow; waste must not overhang, be stacked on top or beside
- Your presented waste should not cause a nuisance or be detrimental to the local amenity
- The receptacles shall not be placed or stored on the Public Highway other than the time stipulated or agreed by the local authority
- If your waste collector fails to collect your waste, it is your responsibility to remove the waste (i.e. remove the bags or push the bin back onto your property) from the Highway until such time as the waste can be collected
Failure to comply with these requirements may result in a Fixed Penalty Notice being issued, or Court proceedings being taken against you.
Waste Less Save More - a guide for North London businesses (2160KB PDF file)
Private trade waste contractors Click to get info
Below is a list of registered trade waste disposal companies that provide a collection service in Waltham Forest. If you don't use a provider on this list, you can check that they are registered with the Environment Agency by calling on 0800 807 060. Please note that this is an indicative list of providers and their services; customers should enquire directly with the providers to understand the full list of services they have available.
|Provider||Contact||Refuse bags||Refuse bins||Recycling service|
|Bywaters||020 7001 6000||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Biffa||0800 307 307||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Veolia||0845 60 60 460||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Sita||0870 421 1122||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|The First Mile ||0800 612 9894||Yes ||Yes ||Yes|
|UK Waste Consultancy LTD||0800 634 4815||Yes||Yes||Yes|