Housing for 19 to 25 year olds


The London Borough of Waltham Forest has a range of housing opportunities. These include: residential housing, supported housing, council housing, private rented accommodation, Shared Lives, and Help to Buy: Shared Ownership.

To be considered for any of these housing options, you will need to complete a housing needs assessment and meet certain conditions. These could include any of the following:

  • referral from another agency
  • be in receipt of disability benefits
  • lived in the borough for more than two years
  • have a diagnosed medical condition 

Your key worker will discuss your options with you and support you to get your new home.

Shared Lives Click to get info

Shared Lives is a housing scheme which helps young adults who want to share in family and community life.

People can access Shared Lives if they have a learning disability, are a care leaver, or have a physical or sensory disability. 

Shared Lives is usually a stepping stone towards further independence

In every Shared Lives home you’re helped and supported by a carer who will share their home with you and include you as part of their family.

Support ranges from personal care to practical support and helps to promote the strengths and abilities of individuals. 

Shared Lives carers are located throughout Waltham Forest and all are family homes that offer long or short stays, and can also include respite.

You’ll have your own bedroom and the use of other rooms such as the bathroom, living room and kitchen.

To access this service you will need to contact your social worker or Assessment Planning and Review Officer (APRO).

Contact: Claire Harrison, Shared Lives Coordinator, 020 8928 8300
07870 917 682, claire.harrison@walthamforest.gov.uk

Shared ownership Click to get info

What is Shared Ownership?

Shared Ownership is a Help to Buy scheme,  where you part-own and part-rent the property. 

This type of accommodation is really useful for people who can maintain staying in their own property for a long time and who are able to do minor repairs such as internal decorating. The housing association is responsible for the major maintenance and repairs of the property.


You can start owning the property by purchasing 25per cent and renting the remaining 75 per cent.

This type of housing means that you cannot be moved if your support worker changes, neither do you have to share with anyone else.

To qualify for this type of supported housing, you need to be receiving benefits for disabled people for all the time you have a mortgage. So if you think at some stage you’ll be able to work, then you may need to question if you can afford the payments.

You will need to have a deposit and be able to pay the legal fees and the moving in fees.

Supported living for people with learning disabilities

Outward has been providing support in Waltham Forest for people with learning disabilities for over 40 years.

In Waltham Forest, Outward's supported housing and Shared Ownership accommodation for people with disabilities is in Leyton.

Find out more about Outward Housing

Supported Housing Click to get info

Supported housing is when you have a room or a flat and you have a package of support made available to you.

This could be help with things like;

  • your personal care
  • accessing the community
  • gaining employment.
  • getting to college or work
  • housework
  • managing your finances

You will have a support worker who will assist you will all your activities. They will be available 24 hours in most instances dependent on need. The types of services available are:

  • supported living services (floating support)
  • visiting support
  • tenancy sustainment

Some supported living homes may be shared by two or three people with similar conditions, such as a particular disability.

Is supported living for you?

Supported living may be for you if you no longer can live with your family and you need more independence.

To access supported living your Assessment Planning and Review Officer will make a referral to the Preparing for Adulthood Panel. Then a social worker will conduct a Care Act needs assessment.

This assessment will set out all of your support needs and a package will be put in place by the SEND team in partnership with either the Community Learning Disability Team or Adult Social Care. The package will be reviewed annually to make certain that it is still meeting your needs and that your circumstances haven’t changed.

Residential Housing Click to get info

Residential accommodation provides 24 hour support which can include personal care such as dressing, eating meals or supporting you to access the community. 

Residential housing for young people with an Education Health and Care Plan would be offered based on a Care Act needs assessment. The assessment will identify your needs, your care, support and the type of support package that will be needed.

This type of housing support is available for young people who are vulnerable and who have complex medical and learning disability needs.

Residential housing placements will not always be in Waltham Forest and you could also be placed in another borough.

Accessing a residential placement

To access a residential placement, the Assessment Planning and Review Officer from the SEND team will present the case to a panel for direction. This will trigger a social worker to complete a Care Act assessment. Your housing needs will be explored as part of this.

Normally, if you require residential living it is unlikely that you will need to maintain an Education Health and Care Plan. If this is the case your current care package will be reviewed by the Disability Enablement Service and transferred over to adult services where it will be reviewed annually.