High hedges

Planning and building control

You may feel a hedge belonging to someone else is restricting your view or blocking your sunlight.

If this is the case, there’s a few things you can do.

Help on how to settle hedge differences can be found on the communities and local government web site.

And you can read more about making a high hedge complaint on the Planning Portal.

You should read this information before making a formal complaint.

You should only contact us when all other avenues for resolving the dispute have been tried and exhausted, such as talking or writing to the hedge owner.

We can adjudicate on whether the hedge is adversely affecting your enjoyment of your property. However, we cannot mediate or negotiate for you.

If you wish to proceed with a high hedges complaint, you should use this online planning enforcement enquiry form.