Hazardous substances



The council is responsible for ensuring that regulations pertaining to the use, handling and storage of hazardous chemicals by catering establishments, offices and shops in the borough are followed.

We also provide general information on hazardous chemicals and incidents involving hazardous chemicals.

Please note: The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is generally responsible for hazardous chemicals on manufacturing premises.

The National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC) plays a key role for responding to chemical incidents. They provide a 24 hour national advice service to the public emergency services to help deal with chemical incidents.

What are Hazchem Codes? Click to get info

Hazchem Codes (Emergency Action Codes) are designed to assist the emergency services in the first few minutes of dealing with an incident involving vehicles transporting hazardous substances.