Approval requirements Click to get info
There are certain conditions a venue must meet before it can be approved for a licence. The Home Office website has more information on approval requirements.
We use this guidance on registering a venue for civil marriage and civil partnership to assess your application.
Applicants can ask us for a pre-inspection meeting before sending us a formal application. To arrange this, please email the Register Office. It is also advised that you read the guidance notes prior to applying:
Cost of the venue license Click to get info
New applications and renewals cost £950 for three years. This is payable at the beginning of the first year.
One licence covers as many ceremony rooms as you want in the venue.
Application and approval process Click to get info
To apply for a venue license, please email the below important information to the Register Office:
- Completed application form: Approved premises application form
- Three copies of a plan of the building showing the area(s) where ceremonies will be held
- A copy of the fire safety report
- The fee
Once we receive the above information, the below steps will take place:
- We will then inspect the venue and give you a decision.
- If your venue meets the conditions needed for a licence, you will need to fill in the Notice of application form and return it to us.
- We will then place a notice on this page under the section below 'Venue applications being considered'.
- This notice will remain for three consecutive weeks before your licence can be granted.
Venue applications being considered now Click to get info
This section will be updated regularly, as venues apply for a licence:
- Vestry House Museum - Application for advert approved premises July 2020
- The Great Hall Leyton - Application for advert approved premises 12 August 2020
If you have any objections, please contact us within 21 days from the date of publication, stating your reasons for objecting.
Additional information and contact Click to get info
If you want to use your building for religious worship and marriage, you must apply for it to be certified. Find out how to apply to certify a building for worship and marriage on GOV.UK
To make a general enquiry to the Register Office, this can be done through My Account.
If you don't have access to a computer or experience issues, you may contact us on 020 8496 3000 for assistance.