Get a venue licence for marriages and civil partnerships

Births, deaths and marriages


A venue, other than a church or register office, must have a licence to carry out a marriage or a civil partnership ceremony.

The licence lasts three years and can be renewed.

The licence application process usually takes at least six to eight weeks.

If you are considering applying for a venue license, please read the information below thoroughly.

Approval requirements Click to get info

There are certain conditions a venue must meet before it can be approved for a licence. The Home Office website has more information on approval requirements.

We use this guidance on registering a venue for civil marriage and civil partnership to assess your application.

Applicants can ask us for a pre-inspection meeting before sending us a formal application. To arrange this, please email the Register Office. It is also advised that you read the guidance notes prior to applying:

  1. Approval requirements for new applications (42KB Word document)
  2. Approval requirements for renewal applications (41 KB Word document)

Cost of the venue license Click to get info

New applications and renewals cost £950 for three years. This is payable at the beginning of the first year.

One licence covers as many ceremony rooms as you want in the venue.

To apply for a venue license, please email the below important information to the Register Office:

  • Completed application form: Approved premises application form
  • Three copies of a plan of the building showing the area(s) where ceremonies will be held
  • A copy of the fire safety report
  • The fee 

Once we receive the above information, the below steps will take place:

  1. We will then inspect the venue and give you a decision.
  2. If your venue meets the conditions needed for a licence, you will need to fill in the Notice of application form and return it to us.
  3. We will then place a notice on this page under the section below 'Venue applications being considered'.
  4. This notice will remain for three consecutive weeks before your licence can be granted. 

This section will be updated regularly, as venues apply for a licence:

If you have any objections, please contact us within 21 days from the date of publication, stating your reasons for objecting.

If you want to use your building for religious worship and marriage, you must apply for it to be certified. Find out how to apply to certify a building for worship and marriage on GOV.UK

To make a general enquiry to the Register Office, this can be done through My Account.

If you don't have access to a computer or experience issues, you may contact us on 020 8496 3000 for assistance.