About the site Click to get info
There are 2 sites at Gateway Road. The site on the right is the Household Waste and Recycling Centre (HWRC) and available to the public. This site is only for residents to dispose of their waste and recycling. The site on the left is the trade waste site for which there is a charge to dispose of waste here.
This site is run by Bywaters Waste Management on behalf of the North London Waste Authority.
Please note that the HWRRC site:
- Has a fixed height barrier of 1.6 metres at this site
- The site does not accept trade waste. Please use the Bywaters trade waste site at Gateway Road, not the public site
- Vans over four feet in length and trailers over four feet in length are not accepted at this site
A van is defined as a vehicle or pick-up truck with no rear windows or no rear seats
Site opening times Click to get info
- Tuesday-Saturday 8.30am-4.30pm
- Sunday 8.30am-3.30pm
- Closed on Mondays, but open on bank holidays
- Open on Bank Holidays 8.30am-3.30pm, except on 25 December, 26 December and 1 January
- Closed on Tuesday 18 April 2017
- Please note that the site is closed on a Tuesday only when it follows a Monday bank holiday
What the site accepts Click to get info
You can recycle the following items at this site:
- Car Batteries
- Cooking Oil
- Engine Oil
- Fluorescent Light Tubes
- Garden Waste
- Gas Bottles
- General Household Rubbish
- Glass Bottles and Glass Jars
- Hard Plastics
- Hard-core and Rubble
- Large Electrical Appliances
- Mobile Phones
- Paper, Card and Cardboard
- Plastic Bottles, Trays and Tubs
- Printer Ink Cartridges
- Scrap Metal
- Small Electrical Items
- Tetra Style Cartons
- Textiles and Shoes
- Tins, Cans, Aerosols and Foil
- Tools for Reuse
- Wood and Timber
What the site does not accept for disposal or recycling Click to get info
- Household chemicals
- Trade waste
Recycling rubble Click to get info
Residents can bring:
- up to six standard rubble sacks of rubble each month
A standard rubble sack is 20 inches by 30 inches or equivalent. The site accepts bricks, concrete and paving stones as rubble, but not plasterboard, tarmac or tiles.
What if you would like to dispose of plasterboard and tiles? Click to get info
What if you would like to dispose of soil? Click to get info
What if you would like to dispose of tarmac? Click to get info
Tarmac cannot be taken to any of our public sites in Waltham Forest and needs to be disposed of at Bywaters trade Site, Gateway Road, Leyton. There is a charge to use this site.
What if you would like to dispose of trade waste? Click to get info
Residents can use the Bywaters trade waste site at Gateway Road (turn left for the trade waste site). There will be a charge
Reuse schemes at Gateway Road Click to get info
There is a bicycle reuse scheme in operation with Recycle your Cycle. Recycle your Cycle work with the UK prison service to provide training in the refurbishment of bicycles. Bicycles are then sold through charity shops across the country as well as in the Second Time around Shop at Kings Road Reuse and Recycling Centre, Chingford.
Bicycles that are disposed of at site that are not suitable for reuse are recycled.
Any furniture that is suitable to be used again will be inspected, safety checked and sold at the Second Time around Shop at Kings Road Reuse and Recycling Centre, Chingford.
Furniture such as upholstered furniture without a fire label, with missing parts, damage that may make the item unsafe or which fail the quality inspection for any other reason will not be accepted, but will be sent for recycling where possible.
Paint bought to this site is reused as part of the Community RePaint scheme. Residents and community groups can purchase the paint at a reduced price by visiting the Forest Recycling Project (FRP).