Extend, rent or sell your lease


COVID-19 update

If you are a Leaseholder, Managing Agent or a Legal Representative of the Leaseholder and need to contact our home ownership team during this time please use our form.

Contact your home ownership team

Please do not enter account numbers or other personal information in the description box.

Please confirm whether you are the Leaseholder or whether you are filling out this form on behalf of a Leaseholder.

If your enquiry is urgent, please contact us on 020 8496 3000.

When you buy a home from the council, you buy the leasehold interest in the property. The council keeps the freehold interest.

This leasehold is a legal agreement between you and the council. At the end of the lease period, the rights over the land and building return to the council.

Who owns what? Click to get info

What you own as a leaseholder

  • the walls, ceilings and floors inside your home
  • cisterns, tanks, drains, pipes, wires and ducts serving your home only
  • doors and door frames inside your home
  • the surfaces of walls that are inside your home
  • gardens and pathways which lead to your home only and are inside the legal boundaries of your home.

What Waltham Forest Council owns

  • the main structural parts of the building
  • joints and beams
  • the front door, door frame and window frames (unless you have a Deed of Variation)
  • pipes running through your home if they serve more than one home
  • drains, gutters, pipes, cables, sewers and wires which serve more than one home
  • shared hallways, corridors, stairways and doors
  • recreation areas outside your home, communal gardens and parking areas
  • shared TV aerials.
  • communal areas
  • loft spaces

Renting your property Click to get info

As long as your mortgagee agrees - you should be entitled to rent out your flat

How to rent your property

You will need to notify the Homeownership Team of your new address so we can send your bills/notices.

You will need to apply for a Private rented property licence, but don’t forget you will still be responsible for paying the ground rent, service charges and buildings insurance for your flat.

When you rent out your property, you’ll also be responsible for making sure your tenants do not cause a nuisance to other people eg noise. 

For more information please contact the Homeownership Team

Email Rtb.lease@walthamforest.gov.uk 

Phone 0208 496 3000 – ext: 4044 / 5208 / 5204 / 5206 / 5207

Selling your property Click to get info

When you’ve found someone to buy your flat, your solicitor will need to give the buyers’ solicitors information about your service charges, your account balance, or if there are major works planned.

To prevent your sale being delayed, after you’ve agreed term with the buyer, your solicitor will need to contact the Homeownership Team for a leasehold pack. They’ll receive this within 28 days.

Fees and Charges, applicable 1 April 2019 to 31 March 2020

  • Leasehold Resale Enquiry Pack: £218.55
  • Registration of Notice of Transfer: £32.78
  • Registration of Notice of Charge: £32.78

Email Rtb.lease@walthamforest.gov.uk 

Phone 0208 496 3000 – ext: 4044 / 5208 / 5204 / 5206 / 5207

Extending your leasehold Click to get info

Extending your lease means you could add up to another 90 years to the time left on your lease.

To get more information about this, contact the Homeownership Team. They will explain what you have to do, the costs and timescales involved. 

If you need to ask for a valuation price, you will need to pay a deposit in advance.

For more information:

Email Rtb.lease@walthamforest.gov.uk 

Phone 0208 496 3000 ext: 4044 / 5208 / 5204 / 5206 / 5207