Drainage help and advice



Repairing and maintaining drains and sewers depends on where the pipes are.

How to report Click to get info

  • If the drainage problem is on a public road or highway, please fill out this online form
  • To report a drainage/ flooding issue in a public space eg in a park contact us today using this online form
  • For an issue with drainage/ flooding in a property or home please let us know about it here
  • To report an overflowing public sewer call Thames Water customer services on 0800 316 9800
  • If you feel that you are not solely responsible for a blocked drain and need advice, or you have further queries, please contact Environmental Health.

Public and private sewers Click to get info

The homeowner or landlord is responsible for the drains on their property up to their boundary.

If you cannot clear the blockage yourself contact a plumber or drainage contractor. You’ll find them online or in the Yellow Pages.

We can require private drains and sewers to be cleared and, if necessary, enforce the required work at the expense of the owner(s).

If you are uncertain whether the blockage is in a public sewer or private drain call Thames Water on 0800 316 9800​. They will send a team to determine where the blockage is located. You will be charged for any repair work done to your drains.

If you feel that you are not solely responsible for a blocked drain please contact Environmental Health. They should be able to determine which private property is responsible.

Please note: The council does not own any drains or sewers except those serving our own properties. We are responsible for highways drainage but this is separate from drainage of buildings.

Burst water mains Click to get info

Thames Water is responsible for the mains water supply up to and including the water stopcock of a property.

To report a burst water main call Thames Water Customer Services on 0800 316 9800.

Main rivers Click to get info

Flood control on the River Lee, Ching Brook and Dagenham Brook is the responsibility of the Environment Agency. You can contact them on 03708 506 506.

They also provide a 24 hour advice and information service for floods and flood warnings. Call 0345 988 1188

Water quality monitoring Click to get info

Mains water

Thames Water is responsible for supplying and ensuring the quality of mains water in the borough. This is the water that comes out of the tap in homes, businesses and public premises.

  • If you have questions or complaints about your water supply contact Thames Water Customer Service on 0800 316 9800.
  • For more information about drinking water contact the Drinking Water Inspectorate, the national body for ensuring water quality.

Private water supplies

We are responsible ensuring that the quality of water that doesn’t come from the mains meets the standards of the Private Water Supplies Regulations 2009. This applies to water from private wells, springs and bore holes.

If you don't have access to a PC, why not visit a Library Plus branch where you can use a self-service PC to log your report. Staff are available to support you if you need it.​​​​