Domestic abuse: help with housing



COVID-19 update

Waltham Forest Housing has closed the reception area at Cedar Wood House.

During this period of closure all our services will be conducted via email and telephone. In order to safeguard our residents we are asking only those that require immediate assistance to contact us.


If you're worried that you can’t leave a violent situation at home because you’d be homeless, we can help.

We can help you even if you haven’t decided for definite that you want to leave home. We can talk through your housing options with you, before you make a decision.

How can I get housing help?

It’s important that you contact us immediately. We’ll ask you to come in to see us as soon as possible.

Please bring proof of identity, such as a passport, birth certificate or Home Office documents. But don’t risk your safety to get these documents. If you can’t get them safely, don’t worry, you can come in to see us without them.

The law recognises that you may not feel safe living near the perpetrator of the violence and that you may want to move away to ensure your safety. If you feel you'd be safer in another borough you have a legal right to approach any council in the UK for housing assistance.

If you don’t feel safe leaving the house, please phone us, so we can work out how best to help you.

What help will I get?

The help we can give will be specific to your personal situation. It can range from giving you advice and guidance specific to you, to offering you temporary or permanent accommodation. We can also arrange for you to have a support worker to help you through the process of leaving home in the safest way.

Please see our web page on violence against women and girls for a list of organisations that can help you.

This page also gives details of organisations to help men, and older people, facing violence.

Cover your tracks online Click to get info

If you’re at risk of violence, you should consider deleting any information from your computer that could compromise your safety. This includes:

  • deleting your browsing history
  • deleting download history
  • deleting cookies
  • emptying the cache

See your browsers help centre for how to do this.

You can also switch to private browser settings. Read more about them here:

Contact Housing Advice Click to get info

Our address:

Housing office
Cedar Wood House
2d Fulbourne Road
Walthamstow E17 4GG

Opening hours: 

  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9am to 4.30pm
  • Wednesday: 1pm to 4.30pm

Phone: 020 8496 4197 

Out-of-hours phone: 020 8496 3000