Schools Click to get info
All schools within Waltham Forest are entitled to free cycle training courses for children of year six and above.
- Bikeability Level 1 is playground based, and covers basic cycle handling skills and balance
- Level 2 allows the children to make trips safely with real traffic on quieter roads and cycle lanes perhaps including the journey to school
- Level 3 trainees (Year 7 and above) will learn the skills to tackle more challenging roads and traffic
If your child’s school is not already offering training and you would like them to please ask the school first or you can call us on 020 8496 3000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We have some cycles available adapted for children with special educational or mobility needs and will be working with the specialist schools in the borough to offer training where
Adults Click to get info
We offer free cycle training for all those who live, work or study in Waltham Forest.
Whether you are a novice, returning to cycling after a break or an experienced rider wanting to expand your knowledge, our training partners can assist you.
- All levels of training, free one-to-one or group sessions with an experienced cycle leader. Seven days a week at a location to suit you
- For new cycle commuters the cycle leader will also work with you to identify a safe convenient route from home to work
- A limited number of loan bicycles are provided for anyone who does not yet have their own (subject to availability)
If you are interested in training, please contact Cycle Confident our cycle training provider or telephone 0203 031 6730 for more details.
Cycle awareness training for drivers Click to get info
All drivers of Waltham Forest HGV vehicles and contractors receive on-bike training via a Safe Urban Driving training programme. If you are interested in training for your firm’s drivers please contact The Freight Operator Recognition Scheme (FORS) or ring 08448 09 09 44
General guidance on safer driving around cyclists as well as tips for safer cycling is available on the TfL website.
Dr Bike Click to get info
Free ‘Dr Bike’ sessions are being held throughout the year at key locations and events throughout the borough including the Tour de France in July.
Look out for news on posters and leaflets and on the 'What’s On' section of our website.
Experienced cyclists and mechanics will be on hand to check everything on your bike, from wheels, brakes, gears and tyre pressures to lights, racks, pedals, saddles and more. By the end, your bike will feel loved and cared for.
Minor adjustments are made on the spot, and for anything that can’t be fixed on site the mechanic will let you know exactly what needs doing as well as a rough guide to what it should cost at a bike shop.
'Dr Bike' is provided by our cycle training provider, Cycle Confident.