How much does the conversion cost? Click to get info
Any couple that has already been through a legal civil partnership ceremony in England or Wales can carry out a conversion..
There will be no fee for couples who had their civil partnership before 29 March 2014 (before the introduction of same sex marriage). The free conversion is for 1 year until 9 December 2015.
Statutory Fee of £45.00 (per couple) will be payable if:-
- you registered a civil partnership after Saturday 29 March 2014, or plan to register one in the future and then convert it to a marriage; and/or
- from 10 December 2015 the statutory fee will be payable
- There will be separate fees for those conversions which take place for the housebound (£99) detained (£117) or for "deathbed" conversions (£15)
- There will be a fee if you chose to have a non-official ceremony
The process for conversion Click to get info
- you must both attend an appointment, in person, at a Register Office. Even if you didn’t have your civil partnership in Waltham Forest, you can still come to Waltham Forest for your conversion.
- you will need proof of identity, confirming your full name and date of birth, proof of address and your civil partnership registration
- the couple will sign a declaration that they have not dissolved their civil partnership and both want to convert it to a marriage
- the declaration must be signed by both parties in the presence of the Superintendent Registrar at the register office
the conversion will be registered and a marriage certificate will be issued. Cost of a marriage certificate will be £4.00
Can you have a ceremony? Click to get info
There is no official ceremony attached to the conversion. You do not go through a marriage ceremony. But, you can choose to have a non-official ceremony after the conversion at the Register Office or a registered building.
If you would like to have a non-official ceremony, you can book this online.
Prices for ceremonies are same as for weddings.