Conservation areas Click to get info
We designate conservation areas to recognise and protect special architectural and historic interest.
To check if your property is within a conservation area please check the maps below.
External changes to properties within these areas are likely to require planning permission, and will be expected to preserve or enhance the character of the area.
Please consult the appraisal management plans (below).
If you need further guidance, please contact us at the address/ email at the bottom of this page.
- Walthamstow Village appraisal management plan (PDF 430KB)
- Forest School appraisal management plan (PDF 205KB)
- Browning Road appraisal management plan (PDF 358KB)
- Thornhill Road appraisal management plan (PDF 188KB)
- Leucha Road appraisal management plan (PDF 189KB)
- Leytonstone appraisal management plan (PDF 396KB)
- Chingford Green appraisal management plan (PDF 388KB)
- Ropers Field appraisal management plan (PDF 192KB)
- Orford Road appraisal management plan (PDF 606KB)
- Walthamstow St James appraisal management plan (PDF 1.7MB)
- Lloyd Park appraisal management plan (PDF 3.9MB)
- Bakers Arms - appraisal expected to be adopted in winter 2018/19
- Leyton Town Centre - appraisal expected to be adopted in summer 2019
Article 4 directions for conservation areas
Article 4 Directions that remove permitted development rights are in place for most of the borough’s conservation areas.
Please see our Article 4 Directions web page for more information.
Statutory listed buildings Click to get info
'Listed buildings' are buildings, objects and structures designated by the Government on the advice of Historic England, for architectural and historic interest on a national scale.
You can find a full list of listed buildings in Waltham Forest on the Historic England website.
Any change to a listed building that would affect its character will require either planning permission or listed building consent, or both.
You can apply to us for planning permission and listed building consent.
Locally listed buildings Click to get info
We keep a list of locally significant buildings, which we review periodically. These buildings must be conserved and enhanced in ways appropriate to their significance.
Current list of locally significant buildings (PDF 272KB)
To suggest an amendment to the local list please email us at Urbandesign@walthamforest.gov.uk
Highams Area of Special Character Click to get info
We have one designated Area of Special Character, which covers the Highams Park Estate.
Unlike a conservation area, no permitted development rights have been removed from properties within Highams Park Estate. However, we will look favourably on planning applications that respect and enhance its significance.