What is planned for the area? Click to get info
We are working on a shared vision and urban principles safeguard the future of the SIL. A coordinated plan across the whole SIL, including:
- Streets and urban blocks
- Scale and massing principles
- Access and servicing principles
- Public realm strategy
- Create high-quality industrial space that can support growth of existing businesses, increase long term security and stability.
- Developing a strategy for retaining existing businesses and providing modern fit for purpose industrial floorspace
- Strategy for integrating new compatible uses that integrate better with the wider neighborhood and support more local footfall
- Sustainability strategy (energy, health and wellbeing)
- A vibrant, creative neighborhood that can accommodate other compatible uses, such as homes and workspace
What role does engagement play in the process? Click to get info
Meaningful engagement is critical for the success of the masterplan process as it informs the framework and design process. Initially we want to understand businesses current needs and future ambitions to imbed in the masterplan a framework to support their future growth. Business engagement feedback and input will inform the design process of the masterplan at a number of points. Wider community consultation will come at a later stage.
What happens when? Click to get info
- February to April 2021: Engagement with business
- Second Half 2021: Outline masterplan
What is Industrial Intensification? Click to get info
Industrial intensification means increasing industrial floor space, either through the growth of existing businesses, or the development of new businesses in existing industrial locations. It is a process that looks to the future of how industry will look and work in Waltham Forest and across the rest of London. Industrial intensification can be delivered through mixing of industrial uses, sharing of spaces and servicing, and exploring new stacked industrial typologies, whilst also considering the potential to incorporate other uses on the same site.
What have businesses said so far? Click to get info
Throughout our business engagement to date, businesses have told us:
- They are open minded about new types of industrial space, like multi level buildings and sharing service yards
- That there is a lack of amenity space and facilities for visitors and staff, like places to eat and spend free time
- That they value the public transport connections and other benefits if the location of the site.
When is wider community engagement? Click to get info
An online event for the wider community is planned for Thursday 22 April.
Please get in touch if you would like to hear more about our plans and take part.