Advice and guidance regarding the main types of benefits that are available to young people.

You can claim disability living allowance if you have a disabled child. You will need  to demonstrate that your child needs a lot more help or supervision than other children of the same age such as needing help with personal care, walking difficulties or a learning disability for three months and is likely to need this help or have these difficulties for at least another six months. 

Personal Care

This can be awarded at higher, middle or lower rate depending on your child's needs. You can claim when your child is 3 months old or over.​


To be able to claim mobility you will need to demonstrate any or all of the following:

  • Child is unable or virtually unable to walk or the effort of walking could threaten their life or seriously affect their health
  • Child is 100% blind
  • Child is at least 80% deaf and needs someone with them when they are out of doors
  • Child is severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems

You can claim for the mobility part of DLA when your child is 3 years but if your child only needs guidance or supervision  then you cannot claim until your child is aged 5.

Terminally Ill

If your child has a progressive illness and is not reasonably expected to live for more than another 6 months, then you can get DLA faster. Your child can get the highest rate of the care component immediately.


Call DLA Helpline on 08457 123 456

Click here to visit GOV.UK DLA web page

Cerebra Disability Living Allowance Guide

It can also be helpful to seek guidance from someone who is in similar circumstances to you who has already made a claim as they may be able to help you understand the process.

Personal Budgets Click to get info

A personal budget is not technically a benefit but is funding which is allocated to an individual for the help and support they need. Individuals can choose to take their personal budget, or part of it, as a direct cash payment, which they can spend on services, or if they wish they can choose to let the Council arrange the services they require.

Find out more about personal budgets in Waltham Forest download and read our Personal Budgets for SEN and Disabilities Leaflet.

Click here to find out more about Personal Budgets

Carers Allowance Click to get info

Carers Allowance (CA) is claimable if you are taking care of someone for at least 35 hours a week.  If your child is in a residential placement and you only take care of them over the weekends as long as you can demonstrate that the care is over 35 hours that you are providing you can make a claim for CA.

Click here to visit GOV.UK Carers Allowance

Carers Allowance is taxable and can affect your other benefits.  If you are working you can currently earn £95.00 per week and make a claim for CA.

Currently You can claim £62.10 per week for caring for a disabled child.

To make a claim you will have to contact Job Centre Plus or make an online claim.

You should use a benefits calculator  first, to work out how your benefits will be calculated.

Click here to access GOV.UK Benefits Calculator

You can be paid weekly in advance or every 4 or 13 weeks.

Effects on other benefits
If you get Universal Credit, it might affect how much you get from other benefits. Any means-tested benefits you get will be reduced by the same amount you get from Carer’s Allowance.

This includes:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit 

An extra amount (called the ‘carer premium’) will be included in the calculation of your means-tested benefits. You might also be eligible for a council tax reduction.

Click here to visit GOV.UK Council Tax Reduction

Tax Credits Click to get info

Tax Credits is an income based credit and you can claim this depending on how much you earn. You can make a claim for child tax credit for each child you are responsible for if they are under 16 or under 20 on an approved training course.

You need to do an income tax calculation to see if you are eligible and a tax credit calculation to see how much you can claim. You are able to claim Child Tax Credit for each child you qualify for and this will not impact on your Child Benefit.

Click here to visit GOV.UK Tax Credit Calculator

Click here to visit GOV.UK Income Tax Calculator

What you get
£545.00 per year, which is called the family element.

Extra Elements

For each child up to £2780.00

For each disabled child £3140.00 on top of the child element.

For each severely disabled child £1275.00 on top of the child element and the disabled child element.

Please ensure you tell them you have a disabled child and what rate of DLA your child receives, as you may be entitled to more Tax Credits. If your circumstances change you should notify them immediately.

Tax Credit Helpline on 0845 300 3900

Click here to visit GOV.UK Child Tax Credit