List of registered skip companies Click to get info
Apply for skip permit (registered suppliers only) Click to get info
Application is made, by the skip operator only, using the ‘Pay for a skip licence’ link on the right hand side of this page. We advise that you apply for a skip permit at least 2 working days before the start date. Do not place the skip until you have received the permit.
You will be required to provide the following details along with the relevant fee:
- Customer Reference: Enter the name of your company.
- Message Box: Enter the licence start date and the address where the skip is being placed including postcode (e.g. E17)
The maximum licence period for a skip is 14 days.
After this time, you will need to apply for a new skip permit. The charge for a permit is £75. Only one skip may be placed at a single location at a time.
The permit is not automatically granted.
Approval is subject to site inspection and all conditions being met. A permit may be issued with special conditions which may be attached at the discretion of the council inspector.
The skip company is responsible for the following:
- Ensuring the skip is sited as directed on the permit and is lit during the hours of darkness
- Ensuring that the skip is marked with the owners name and telephone number or address
- Ensuring the skip does not exceed 5 metres in length by 2 metres in width and 6.12 cubic metres in volume (8 Cubic Yards).
- Ensuring any additional conditions detailed in the permit are adhered to.
- Once the permit has been granted, it will be issued via email directly to the skip company. There is a fine if a skip is on the road without a permit.
Apply for a skip operator licence Click to get info
To apply for a licence, you simply need to email us and ask to be added to the approved skip operators' list
Read the Skip Licence Terms and Conditions.pdf (60KB pdf file)
Permission may be granted after due application by the skip owner or operating company through Waltham Forest Council, which will lay down certain conditions, such as:
- Public liability insurance of at least £5 million
- Waste carriers licence
- Siting the skip
- Its dimensions
- Making skips immediately visible to oncoming traffic
- The care and disposal of its contents
- The manner in which it is to be lighted or guarded
- Its removal at the end of the period of licence
See a summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence on the Office of Public Sector Information website.
Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that Waltham Forest Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within five working days, contact us by email at email@example.com or call 020 8496 3000.
Consumer complaint Click to get info
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).
If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Bureau give advice on your consumer rights - Adviceline 0300 330 1175.
From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
Please contact the Council and ask for the highways network team in the first instance for matters concerning:
- Licence holder redress
- Failed application redress
- Other redress - include other complaints relating to another aspect of the operation such as noise, pollution or public health