Apply for a performing animals registration



You must be registered with to exhibit, use or train performing animals in Waltham Forest.

Evaluation criteria and registration conditions

Before we can issue a registration, we will need to inspect the premises for health, safety and hygiene suitability. We will also need council-appointed veterinarian to inspect the and the animals to be used for the business.

Fees and how to apply Click to get info

To apply

Performing animals registrations are issued by us.

Please email at: Include your name, address and other contact details.

An officer will contact you to explain the application process. 


Our officer will be able to advise you about associated fees. 


Please email us at: Include your name, address and other contact details. Include details of your current registration. 

An officer will contact you to explain the process and the associated fees. 

Will tacit consent apply? Click to get info

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if no representations have been received within 28 days of submitting your application.

The welfare of performing animals is provided for in the general provisions in the Animal Welfare Act 2006. The training and exhibition of performing animals is further regulated by the Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925, which requires trainers and exhibitors of such animals to be registered with the local authority.

No person who wishes to use animals to perform within Waltham Forest shall do so except under the authority of a licence granted in accordance with the provisions of the Act subject to compliance with such conditions as may be specified in the licence.

Applications must contain details about the animals and the performances they are to take part in.

See summary of the regulation relating to this licence on the Office of Public Sector Information website.

Consumer complaints Click to get info

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, you contact the trader by letter with proof of delivery.

If that hasn't worked, GOV.UK gives advice on consumer rights within the UK. If you're from outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

For complaints relating to another aspect of the operation such as noise, pollution or public health, please contact us.

Other complaints Click to get info

Please contact us for matters concerning:

  • failed application redress
  • licence holder redress

A police officer or officer of the local authority may make a complaint to the local magistrates' court if they feel that animals have been subject to cruelty.

Contact Click to get info

Dog Team

Phone: 020 8496 3000 (please ask for the Dog Team)