Apply for a licence to sell fireworks



To obtain a licence you'll need to complete an explosives registration or storage licence application.

If you supply or sell fireworks, you should be aware of your responsibilities and current legislation.

Shops have to register or obtain a licence from the council to be allowed to store fireworks for sale. If they aren't registered or licensed, retailers could be fined up to £5,000 or given a prison sentence of up to six months.

It is illegal for retailers to sell caps, cracker snaps, novelty matches, party poppers, serpents and throwdowns to anyone who is under 16 and to sell all other fireworks to anyone who is under 18.

Retailers must only sell fireworks that conform to British Safety Standards and meet certain noise conditions. They must have BS 7114 printed on the box.

Unless they have a special licence, suppliers must only sell fireworks during the weeks leading up to Bonfire Night, New Year's Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year.

Contact Click to get info

Waltham Forest Trading Standards

Sycamore House,
Town Hall Complex Forest Road Walthamstow 
E17 4SU 
020 8496 3000 
Fax: 020 8496 6904