The Town Hall Campus transformation programme is a once in a lifetime opportunity to create a new neighbourhood and cultural hub in the heart of the borough, refurbish cherished historic buildings and open up the Campus to the public. In doing so, it will transform the way the Council operates and delivers services to residents.
The scheme builds on the legacy of the borough’s year as the first-ever Mayor’s London Borough of Culture in 2019 with opportunities for new leisure, entertainment spaces, shops and cafes, providing jobs for local people. It will also invest in brand new and affordable housing prioritised for local residents. The scheme itself is central in Waltham Forest Council’s plans to ensure economic recovery after the coronavirus pandemic, building resilience in the local economy and for London.
Phases of development and timelines:
Phase 1 – from June 2020
- Protecting the Grade II listed Town Hall through thoughtful and considerate renovation whilst modernising the building to enable better staff working
- Opening up and pedestrianising the area around the fountain, replacing it with an accessible water feature that is safe and welcoming. Download questions and answers about the Town Hall fountain.
- Ensuring the Town Hall and Assembly Hall are fully accessible for all visitors
- Restoring the War Memorial to its former glory with a better space for memorial events
Following consultations with residents the Council received approval to deliver the first phase of the development (Planning Committee minutes can be found on the Democracy website). A contractor and an architecture firm have been appointed to work closely with the Council to ensure a high-quality, respectful refurbishment of the Town Hall and fountain area.
Work has now begun on phase one of the project, with contractor ISG taking hold of the site on Monday 1 June 2020 to undertake the refurbishment of the Grade-II listed Town Hall and surrounding areas. Read more.
Resident engagement event
Please see the consultation boards from the phase 1 resident consultation.
Further consultations will take place for phase 2.
Phase 2: (late 2020 - early 2023)
- Building over 450 new high-quality homes for local people, with 50% affordable
- Refurbishing the existing green spaces and improving accessibility to Chestnut’s Field to create a space that is flexible and multifunctional
- Constructing a new modern, fit for purpose civic building with retail services at ground floor for the public use
- Bringing the majority of council employees together in one hub, seeing staff from older, less efficient Council offices across the borough move into new office space on the Town Hall Campus site.
- Completing Hepworth’s vision of a Waltham Forest Town Hall Campus
In January 2020, the Council announced leading UK developer Countryside as the delivery partner for phase 2 of the project. Read more about the partnership.
The Council will advise when consultations and engagement sessions are happening as plans progress.
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 16 December 2019
- Download the Walthamstow email newsletter 27 November 2019
- Download the Town Hall email newsletter 22 August 2019
- Download the Town Hall email newsletter 11 July 2019
- Download the Town Hall email newsletter 28 June 2019
Since the COVID19 outbreak, we are ensuring that all staff and contractors will operate under revised health and safety protocols in order to fully comply with Government guidance around social distancing and advice from the Construction Leadership Group. If you have concerns about anything happening on the site please contact the contractor on the advertised number or email address, and if the problem persists please contact the Council
If you have any questions you can get in touch with the team by first contacting project manager John Cattermole
Follow us on Twitter @wfcouncil, using the hashtag #WFTownHall