Last updated: 21 September 2023
Next review: 19 May 2024
Walthamstow Public Mortuary is closed for renovation from March 2022 to September 2023. Alternative provisions have been made for the storage of people who pass away within the borough and for all services that the mortuary currently provides.
For further information please email or call the Mortuary.
- receives and stores bodies for the coroner
- assist the pathologists with post-mortems to determine the cause of death
- assist forensic pathologists with post-mortems in cases where criminal charges may arise
- provide information and advice about post-mortems and what to do after a death
- assist the coroner to deal quickly with cases for faith or cultural requirements
Fees and how to pay for Mortuary services
|Item||2023 to 2024|
|Storage Per Day*||£24.25|
|Post Mortem Examination||£832.60|
|Special Post Mortem Examination||£1,253.33|
|Infectious Diseases Post Mortem Examination||£881.09|
|Second Post Mortem Examination||£1,253.33|
|Releasing Body (out of hours)||£331.42|
|Private Post Mortem Examination||£1,253.33|
*Storage charges are applicable from 10 working days after the Coroner issues a release certificate.
For information about a career in this field please visit the web site of Association of Anatomical Pathology Technology.
Mortuary public consultation
Public Mortuary consultation information sheets (pdf) for the public consultation taking place on Wednesday 16 February.
The mortuary also has a phone number to allow undertakers to collect the deceased out of hours by appointment only. There is a £331.42 charge for this service.
Out of hours telephone: 07900 133 820