Top-up payments for care homes

If you choose a care home more expensive than our agreed rate then a top-up payment might be needed.

Last updated: 22 August 2023

Next review: 22 August 2024

If you choose a care home more expensive than our agreed rate then a top-up payment might be needed.

The agreed rate is what we have determined to be a fair and reasonable rate for care homes in an area. 

If your care needs are such that you require a care home that’s more than our usual agreed rate, and there is no other care home available in the area to meet your needs, a top-up may not be necessary. These needs are assessed by our social work team.

Paying the top-up

This must be paid by someone other than you or us. It’s usually a family member, friend, employer or voluntary organisation. You may only pay the top-up yourself if:

  • because of your financial assessment, you’re subject to a 12-week property disregard
  • you’ve entered into a deferred payment agreement with us

The financial assessment officer will be able to give you more information about these circumstances during your financial assessment.

Who is the top-up paid to?

The payment should be paid directly to your care home.

All parties must be happy that these arrangements are sustainable for the whole time that you’re in care.

Moving from private care home fees to council funding

If you move from paying private care home fees yourself to them being paid by the Council we will normally only fund your care at the Council's standard contract rate.

If your care home asks for a top-up payment when we’re contributing towards the fees, and you or a third party aren’t in a position to pay, it may be necessary for you to move to another care home that will accept our rate without an additional payment.

Cost increases

It’s usual for care home fees to increase each year.

You or your third party will be responsible for any increase in the top-up payment. Please be aware that the to-up may increase at a different rate to what’s paid by us.

Any increase to the top-up payment can only take effect on the anniversary of your placement at the home and following at least four weeks written notice to you and the Council.

Further information

Read more about: