Safeguarding in Education Service
On this page:
- Our aim
- Quality standards
- The Safeguarding in Education Service
- Confidentiality and record keeping
- Forms and useful documents
- Guidance documents
- Local guidances, policies and procedures
- London Child Protection Procedures
- Serious Case Reviews
- Useful contacts
- Useful links
- Training and events
- Latest news
The Safeguarding in Education Service provides advice, support and training in matters of child protection for the designated safeguarding lead with responsibility for child protection in schools, colleges and early years settings.
Training for designated safeguarding leads in schools and colleges is offered termly to guide and assist them in understanding and applying best practice and procedures in the field, as laid down within the statutory provision.
- All child protection training by the Safeguarding in Education Service is underpinned by the London Child Protection Procedures
- Every designated lead and deputy designated lead receives child protection training
Courses are quality assured, with summary evaluation reports being produced as evidence of best value. Feedback is used constructively to continuously maintain our high standards. Course effectiveness and perceived support is evaluated using a Schools Safeguarding Audit Questionnaire, which is sent out to schools each academic year.
Child protection procedures are followed according to the London Child Protection Procedures. The trainers used to deliver child protection training have proven track records in the field coupled with a good working knowledge of Waltham Forest and national procedures.
Whilst there is no charge to schools for the advice and support provided by the Safeguarding in Education Service there is a charge for course attendance. This charge reflects the cost of delivery, course materials and refreshments. Courses are non-profit making and are widely accepted as good value for money.
The Safeguarding in Education Service
- Respond immediately and appropriately to all enquiries about child protection issues; and advise on the required action as outlined in the Waltham Forest Safeguarding Children Board (WFSCB) guidelines
- Liaise with the police Child Abuse Investigation (CAIT) Team, Children Social Care Services, the Primary Care Trust (PCT) and the voluntary sector in order to address issues following correct procedures
- Advise schools of their responsibilities and the standards that are expected in order to protect children
- Disseminate information to schools on child protection issues
Confidentiality and record keeping
The Safeguarding in Education Service maintains a record of every case brought to its attention, including correspondence and telephone calls.
All confidential records are kept under strict, secure conditions. Confidentiality is maintained on all cases dealt with by the Safeguarding in Education Service and information is shared only with those professionals who have involvement in individual cases.
The Safeguarding in Education Service, under its monitoring remit, maintains a database to ensure schools fulfil their responsibilities in safeguarding children.
Forms and useful documents
- Biographical details (dividers to organise child protection files)
- CAF forms and documents
- Child protection record form
- Children missing from school checklist
- Multi-agency child protection conference report form
- Schools safeguarding audit questionnaire
- Allegation against a professional multi-agency referral form
- Multi-agency referral form - Please complete this form if you need to make a referral to the Children's Referral and Advice Team at Juniper House
The following documents are guides useful to designated child protection leads.
- Keeping children safe in education - Stautory guidance for schools and colleges
- Use of reasonable force
- Working Together to Safeguard Children 2013 - Guide to inter-agency working to safeguard and promote the welfare of children
Some of these documents are in PDF format. To view them you may need to download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Local guidances, policies and procedures
These are examples of policies that could be used and/or adapted to your setting, as well as procedures to follow.
- Guidance on how to keep child protection files
- Model safeguarding policy for schools - Currently being updated
- Model safeguarding policy for early years - Currently being updated
- Early Help and Threshold Criteria for Intervention
- Elective home education policy and guidance
- Procedures once a school place has been offered
London Child Protection Procedures
Serious Case Reviews
To be reviewed by all education and early years settings, regarding lessons to be learned.
- Plymouth City Council Serious Case Review
- North Somerset Serious Case Review - Government recommendation
- Policy Briefing 99 - Five Recent Serious Case Reviews
If you work in education, health, social care or for the police in Waltham Forest you can use the list of key contacts for child protection issues in Waltham Forest to find someone to speak to, answer your questions or help with any concerns you might have about a child.
- Allegations against a Professional or Volunteer Working with Children
- Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP)
- Child Protection
- ChildLine Schools Service
- Children's Centres in Waltham Forest
- Common Assessment Framework (CAF)
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
- Enough is Enough - Waltham Forest innovative gangs programme
- Exclusion of Pupils
- Family Information Service (FIS)
- NSPCC Inform
- Optimus Education
- Safe Network
- Schools and Colleges in Waltham Forest
- Targeted Youth Support Service
- Travelling People: Support for Children
- Waltham Forest Safeguarding Children Board (WFSCB)
Training and events
Training courses and events that may be useful to designated staff responsible for child protection in education.
- Child Protection Training for Designated Safeguarding Leads - Newly Appointed and Experienced
- Safeguarding in Education Service Training Application Form
- Safeguarding Surgeries - Schools & Colleges, Secondary Schools and Early Years
- CAF Training
- WFSCB Multi-agency Training
- DfE Safer Recruitment Online Training
- Optimus Education Conference
The latest child protection news for professionals working to safeguard children.