Listed buildings in Waltham Forest
A 'listed building' is a building, object or structure that has been judged to be of architectural or historical interest. The Council is responsible for considering applications to demolish a listed building or make any alteration or extension that would affect its character as a building of architectural or historical interest.
‘The Chestnuts’ 19-21 Bishops Close E17 - Grade II
An Early 19th Century (or altered 18th Century) residence for a wealthy City Merchant. Originally set in extensive landscaped grounds and approached by a carriage drive.2) Squires Almshouses 1-6 Church End E17 - Grade II. Erected in 1795 by Mrs Mary Squires “for six decayed tradesmen's widows”. Decayed in this context refers to a decline in wealth.
St. Mary’s Church Church End E17 - Grade II*
In existence by the 12th Century, St. Mary’s is the original parish Church of Walthamstow although much altered over the centuries.
Tomb of Edward Solly St. Mary’s Churchyard E17 - Grade II
An 18th Century chest tomb to a local Walthamstow worthy in Portland stone, coadestone and bronze.
Table tomb in St. Mary’s Churchyard E17 (20yds NW of tower) - Grade II
An early 19th Century Gothic style table tomb.
Tomb of Thomas Wise St. Mary’s Churchyard E17 (adjacent. south wall of tower) - Grade II
An early 18th Century table tomb to Thomas Wise, a benefactor to the parish who died in 1710.
Table tomb in St. Mary’s Churchyard E17 (south wall of chancel) - Grade II
A mid 18th Century Portland stone table tomb.
Wall to SE side of St. Mary’s Churchyard E17- Grade II
Red brick 18th Century wall probably the original boundary to ‘Walnuts’ house, now the site of 9-95 Church Lane.
Walthamstow High School for Girls Church Hill E17 - Grade II
An impressive Edwardian red brick school in neo-Georgian style built on what was originally the Vicars Glebe.
Walthamstow High School, gates, gate piers and railings Church Hill E17- Grade II
Decorative neo-Georgian boundary treatment contemporary with the school building.
Monoux Almshouses Church Hill E17 - Grade II
Built in 1527 by George Monoux as Almshouses, school and feast hall. The western wing was rebuilt in 1956 following bomb damage in the last War.
Pillar box on north side of Church Lane E17 (opposite the Ancient House) - Grade II
An octagonal ‘penfold’ type pillar box circa 1869 which stood on the corner of Lea Bridge Road and Shrubland Road until 1965.
The Ancient House 2-8 Church Lane E17 - Grade II
A 15th Century timber framed ‘hall house’, probably on the site of the original Walthamstow Toni manor house.
No 10 Church Lane E17 - Grade II
A detached late Georgian house built on land that was once part of the gardens of the Ancient House.
Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin Church Road E10 - Grade II*
The much altered and rebuilt parish Church of Leyton. The 17th Century tower is topped by a cupola salvaged from the Leyton Great House demolished in 1905.
Sir Fisher Tench Monument in St. Mary’s graveyard 40 yards SW of tower - Grade II
An 18th Century Portland stone monument to Fisher Tench, who built and resided at Leyton Great House which stood opposite the former Essex cricket ground.
Monument to Benjamin Moyer in St. Mary’s graveyard (20 yards SW of Tower) - Grade II
Monument to Benjamin Moyer, a major local landowner in the early 18th Century.
Etloe House 180 Church Road E10 - Grade II
A substantial Georgian house with ‘Tudorised’ early 19th Century frontage. Once the home of Cardinal Wiseman, first Catholic Archbishop of Westminster.
Forest School College Place E17 - Grade II
A charming terrace of Georgian houses with 19th Century additions, which became the Forest proprietary grammar school in 1834.
Forest School Chapel College Place E17 - Grade II
An early English Gothic style Chapel by William White FSA, a family friend of Sir Gilbert Scott. Erected in 1857 and enlarged in 1875.
Forest School gate piers and railings College Place E17 - Grade II
Early 19th Century cast iron work to the school frontage which survived the scrap metal drive of the last War.
Forest School (Junior School boarding house) College Place E17 - Grade II
A detached Georgian house which became part of Forest School in the 19th Century.
Waterboard Stores Coppermill Lane E17 - Grade II
The original Coppermill from which the road gets its name. Built in 1806 to manufacture tokens which supplemented the scarce legal currency of the time.
Gwydr Lodge The Forest E17 - Grade II
A much altered Mid 18th Century house in an attractive forest side location.
No's 1 and 2 Ivy Cottages The Forest E17 - Grade II
An attractive and largely original pair of late Georgian houses built immediately adjacent to Gwydr Lodge.
The Ferry Boat Inn Forest Road E17 - Grade II
A collection of three seventeenth and eighteenth Century buildings which formed the original ferry house in the days before there was a road bridge over the Lea.
The Water House Forest Road E17 - Grade II*
A substantial detached Georgian house, once the home of William Morris and now a Museum of his works. (Cover Illustration)
Waltham Forest Town Hall Forest Road E17 - Grade II
The centrepiece of the impressive 1930’s Civic Centre complex by P D Hepworth, completed during the early years of World War II.
Assembly Hall Forest Road E17 - Grade II
Subsidiary building to the Town Hall by Hepworth, used for public performances and recording sessions by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
Gates, gate piers, railings, flagpoles Civic Centre Forest Road E17 - Grade II
Contemporary boundary treatment to the Civic Centre complex.
‘Brookscroft’ 590 Forest Road E17 - Grade II
One of the surviving 18th Century mansions of the wealthy built on the south side of Forest Road, originally with extensive views of the Lea Valley and the Forest.
Thorpe Combe Hospital (original house), Forest Road E17 - Grade II
Another 18th Century Mansion, originally with fine views, once owned by the Wigram family along with ‘Brookscroft’ and Walthamstow House.
Church of St. Peter and St. Paul The Green E4 - Grade II*
Built in 1844 by Robert Boothby Heathcote to replace Chingford Old Church which had become derelict. Designed by Lewis Vulliamy and extended by Sir Arthur Blomfield.
Gates and gate piers to St. Peter and St. Paul’s Church The Green E4 - Grade II
Contemporary mid 19th Century boundary details.
The Bull and Crown public house The Green E4 - Grade II
A magnificent late Victorian public house in French Second Empire style, built to cater for the influx of forest visitors at that time.
Carbis Cottage The Green Walk E4 - Grade II
A rare survival of a timber framed weather boarded cottage, possibly 17th Century, from the days when Chingford Green was a rural hamlet.
No 3 High Elms Woodford Green - Grade II
An early 19th Century stuccoed Georgian house situated across the Green from Harts House.
The United Free Church High Elms Woodford Green - Grade II*
A magnificent red brick and terracotta church by Charles Harrison Townsend, who also designed the Bishopsgate Institute, East London Art Gallery, and the Hornimans Museum.
No 500 High Road Leyton E10 - Grade II*
A substantial 16th Century timber framed building with jet tied first floor and stuccoed exterior. Probably the oldest building in Leyton.
Leyton Public Library High Road E10 - Grade II
Designed in an Italianate style and opened in 1882 as Leyton Town Hall. Replaced in 1892 by the new Town Hall alongside and adapted to serve as a public Library.
Leyton Town Hall High Road E10 - Grade II
Erected in 1894/6 to replace the original public offices; now Leyton Library. Designed by John Johnson after a competition with over 30 entries.
No 669 High Road Leyton E10 - Grade II
A detached late Georgian house, originally the home of a wealthy merchant. Only the facade survives featuring original ‘Gothick Style’ windows.
Church of St. John the Baptist High Road E11 - Grade II
An early English Gothic style church by Edward Blore, built in 1833 to meet the needs of this part of Leyton parish.
Gates, gate piers and railings, St. John’s Church High Road E11 - Grade II
Contemporary 19th Century boundary treatment.
Leytonstone House High Road E11 - Grade II
Substantial 18th Century detached house, once the home of Sir Edward North Buxton. From 1868-1936 it was the Bethnal Green School for the juvenile poor.
Woodford County High School High Road Woodford Green - Grade II
A substantial detached house, now a school, built in 1768 by William Newton. Formerly known as Highams, the grounds (or park) were laid out by Humphrey Repton.
No's 694a - 698a High Road Leytonstone E11 - Grade II
A late 18th Century Georgian terrace erected for wealthy city merchants and businessmen. Original extensive grounds now largely built over.
Walthamstow Central Library High Street E17 - Grade II
Designed by J W Dunford and erected 1907-9. Part funded by Andrew Carnegie, the Scottish born steel magnate and philanthropist from Pennsylvania.
Emmanuel Church Hall Hitcham Road E10 - Grade II
A yellow brick and Portland stone church hall erected in 1906 by Eustace Corrie Frere, which served as the Church until 1935.
The Granada Cinema Hoe Street E17 - Grade II*
Erected in 1930, the former Walthamstow Granada was the first Granada built, designed and decorated by Massey and Komisjersky, and is in a Moorish style.
Clevelands 285 Hoe Street E17 - Grade II
A large much-altered detached house, dating probably from the 17th Century and named after a one time mistress of Charles II, Barbara Villiers, Duchess of Cleveland.
Chestnuts House 398 Hoe Street E17 - Grade II*
A substantial mid 18th Century detached house, formerly the home of wealthy merchants. Birthplace of Charles Green, Captain of Essex Cricket Club 1883-88.
Pair of forecourt piers Chestnuts House, Hoe Street E17 - Grade II
18th Century piers to the original carriage drive of Chestnuts House.
Pimp Hall Barn Kings Road E4 - now delisted.
Destroyed January 1990 in a gale.
Pimp Hall Dovecote Kings Road E4 - Grade II
A 17th Century timber framed dovecote, the only surviving structure of the manor of Pimp Hall.
Langthorne Hospital Langthorne Road E11 - Grade II
Erected in 1840 as the West Ham Union Workhouse on land originally part of Stratford Langthorne Abbey. Renamed in 1948.
Chapel to Langthorne Hospital Langthorne Road E11 - Grade II
Brick built Chapel to the former Workhouse.
Gate Lodge to Langthorne Hospital Langthorne Road E11 - Grade II
Gatekeeper’s lodge to the Workhouse in matching style.
Fetter Lane Congregational Chapel Langthorne Road E11 - Grade II
An Arts and Crafts style Church by P Morley Horder in 1899. Interior in 17th Century style, recalling original Fetter Lane Chapel.
St. Edmund’s Church Larkswood Road E4 - Grade II
A grey brick and knapped flint Church erected in 1938 by N Cachemaille-Day in a simplified perpendicular Gothic style.
Bakers Almshouses Lea Bridge Road Leyton E10 - Grade II
Designed by Thomas Edward Knightley in an Italianate style and built between 1857 and 1866 for the London Master Bakers Benevolent Institution.
Railings and Gates Bakers Almshouses, Lea Bridge Road E10 - Grade II
Restored 19th Century ironwork contemporary with the Almshouses.
Parish Church of Emmanuel 251 Lea Bridge Road E10 - Grade II
A simple 1930’s Tudor style Church by M Travers and T F W Grant, erected with aid from local Masonic lodges.
Carnegie Library Lea Bridge Road E10 - Grade II
A red brick and stone Library designed by W Jacques and erected in 1905. Funded by Andrew Carnegie, the Scottish born steel magnate and philanthropist.
Church of St. Saviour Markhouse Road E17 - Grade II
Designed by T F Dolman and erected in 1874. The only surviving ‘Gothic revival’ church in Walthamstow.
All Saints Church Old Church Road E4 - Grade II*
The original parish church of Chingford dating from Norman times. Replaced by the Church on the Green in 1844, and restored from dereliction in 1928 by the generosity of Louisa Heathcote of Friday Hill House.
The Old Town Hall Orford Road E17 - Grade II
The first purpose built town hall of Walthamstow erected in 1866 in an Italianate style. Restored in 1994.
Orford House Orford Road E17 - Grade II
An early 19th Century Regency villa, once the home of John Cass a prosperous Whitechapel merchant. The house and road take their name from Orford in Suffolk.
St. Michael and All Angels Church Palmerston Road E17 - Grade II
The largest church in Walthamstow, erected in 1885 in Early English style to the design of James Maltby Bignall.
Pole Hill, Obelisk E4 - Grade II
An eight foot granite monolith erected in 1824 to mark the direction of the Greenwich meridian, which was changed in 1850 and now passes 19 feet to the east of the obelisk.
Clock House 13 Pretoria Avenue E17 - Grade II
A Regency style detached villa, erected in 1813 and the original Walthamstow home of the Warner family. Originally set in extensive landscaped grounds fronting Marsh Street (now High Street).
Queen Elizabeth’s Hunting Lodge Rangers Road E4 - Grade II*
The ‘Greate Standinge’ commissioned by Henry VIII in 1543 from which the aristocracy would view the hunt across Fairmaid Bottom.
Butlers Retreat Rangers Road E4 - Grade II
A 19th Century timber framed weather boarded barn, converted in 1891 into a ‘Retreat’ serving teas and refreshments by the Butler family who ran it until 1971.
Church of St. Barnabas and St. James the Greater St. Barnabas Road E17 - Grade II*
A fine example of Edwardian Church architecture, designed by William Douglas Caröe and erected in 1902.
St. Barnabas Rectory St. Barnabas Road E17 - Grade II
A Queen Anne style red brick detached rectory by W D Caröe erected with the adjacent Church.
Walthamstow House Shernhall Street E17 - Grade II*
A substantial mid 18th Century house, once the home of Sir Robert Wigram, whose sons lived at Thorpe Combe and Brookscroft.
Vestry House Museum Vestry Road E17 - Grade II
Erected in 1730 for use as a workhouse and for Vestry meetings. Has also been a police station, armoury, builders yard, house, and since 1931 a local museum.
St. Barnabas Parish Hall Wellesley Road E17 - Grade II
A red brick parish hall by W D Caröe, erected in 1902 as part of the St. Barnabas Church development.
No's 133 and 135 Whipps Cross Road E11 - Grade II
Two surviving properties from the original ‘Assembly Row’ of 12 middle class houses, constructed in 1767 on the edge of the forest.
No 143 Whipps Cross Road E11 - Grade II
Another survivor from the ‘Assembly Row’ of 1767 with the front elevation now stuccoed.
No's 153, 155 and 157 Whipps Cross Road E11 - Grade II
Three more survivors from the ‘Assembly Row’ of 1767.
Old Butcher’s Shop Wood Street E17 - Grade II
A remarkable survival of an eighteenth century weather boarded butchers shop.
Clock House Wood Street E17 - Grade II
A substantial 18th Century house with a fine 19th Century covered balcony at the rear. Once the home of Sir Jacob Jacobson, a successful Dutch merchant.
St. Margaret’s Woodford New Road - Grade II
A delightful much altered and extended property in spacious grounds, with elements of 18th, 19th and 20th Century work.
The High Stone junction of New Wanstead and Hollybush Hill E11 - Grade II
A 19th Century Portland stone obelisk on the stump of an earlier milestone. The ‘stone’ from which Leytonstone gets its name. Now transferred to Redbridge, as a result of boundary changes.
K6 Telephone kiosks outside Bakers Almshouses E10, adjacent to Carnegie Library E10, and outside the William Morris Gallery E17 - Grade II
Cast iron telephone kiosks designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935, and inspired by a tomb in St. Pancras Church graveyard.
Ice house at St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic School Marsh Lane E10 - Grade II
A late 18th Century Ice house, originally in the grounds of Etloe House, designed to ensure fresh food throughout the year.
No 807 High Road Leyton E10 - Grade II
An early 18th Century house of a wealthy merchant, now much altered on the ground floor. A butcher’s shop until the early 20th Century.
Friday Hill House Simmons Lane E4 - Grade II
The Victorian Manor house of Chingford Earls, designed by Lewis Vulliamy in 1839 for Robert Boothby Heathcote. Reused Jacobean panelling and chimney pieces survive internally.
Chingford Mill Pumping Station Turbine House and railings, Lower Hall Lane E4 - Grade II
A delightful former pumping station complex, built 1890-95 for the East London Waterworks Co., designed by W B Bryan. Situated next to the Old Toll bridge.
Walthamstow Tramway Offices and Depot Chingford Road E17 - Grade II
The offices of the former Walthamstow Urban District Council Tramways, in typically Edwardian red brick and terracotta.
Former Empress Cinema 468-474 Hoe Street - Grade II
An elaborate example of a small early 20th century “electric picture theatre” erected by Good Brothers, local builders, builders merchants and impresarios.
Church of Our Lady of Grace and St Teresa of Avila Station Road E4 - Grade II
Catholic church in Gothic Revival style by architect/builder GW Martyn erected in 1931. Tower added in 1955. English Oak south porch with carvings by Don Potter.
Chingford United Reformed Church Buxton Road E4 - Grade II
Originally Chingford Congregational Church designed by JD and SJ Mould and erected in 1910 to replace the adjacent James Spicer Memorial Hall of 1890.
Former Essex County Cricket Club Pavilion High Road Leyton E10 - Grade II
Designed by Richard CREED FRIBA and erected in 1886 for the Essex County Cricket Club. It remained the official club headquarters until 1934.
Low Hall Pump House Low Hall Lane E17 - Grade II
Victorian Sewerage Pumping Station built by Walthamstow Urban District Council with surviving Marshall C Type steam engines.
Church of St Margaret of Antioch & attached railings - Woodhouse Road E11 - Grade II
A late Gothic Revival church by J T Newman and William Jacques erected in 1892. Contemporary cast iron gates and railing by Bayliss, Jones & Bayliss Ltd.
Church Hall / Parish Institute to the Church of St Margaret of Antioch - Woodhouse Road E11 - Grade II
Designed by J G Lidiard James FRIBA and erected in 1910 as a permanent replacement for the original parish rooms destroyed by fire in 1908
Church of St Andrew, Colworth Road E11 - Grade II
Early English style church by Sir Arthur Blomfield erected on part of the Wallwood Estate donated by Sir Henry Cotton. East end 1887, west end 1893
Lighthouse Methodist Church, 102 Markhouse Road E17 - Grade II
Erected in 1893 and for many years the best attended Methodist Church in Walthamstow. The whimsical Lighthouse turret reflects the nautical connections of it's founder, Captain King of the Bullard Line of steamers.
Walthamstow Greyhound Stadium, entrance range with tote board and kennels, Chingford Road E4 - Grade II
Iconic art deco style greyhound stadium erected in 1931 on the site of Walthamstow Grange football club. The best surviving and most architecturally interesting vintage greyhound stadium in the country.
Church of St Peter in the Forest, Woodford New Road E17 - Grade II
Erected in 1840 as a chapel of ease to St Mary's Walthamstow. Designed in a Romanesque style by John Shaw Junior FRIBA (1803 - 70) who was also responsible for Wellington College Berkshire.
- Browning Road conservation area (1.88MB PDF file)
- Chingford Green conservation area (1.4MB PDF file)
- Highams area of special character (1.8MB PDF file)
- Leucha Road conservation area (1.2MB PDF file
- Ropers Field conservation area (1.9MB PDF file)
- Walthamstow Village conservation area (1.4MB PDF file)
- Woodford Green conservation area (1.3MB PDF file)
- Listed buildings in Waltham Forest 2008 (640KB PDF file)
There is also a range of heritage leaflets covering all the borough’s conservation areas and listed buildings available from our reception at Sycamore House